Intumescent strip

I am considering beefing up an existing internal Pine door with Oak (because I happen to have some) tongue and groove for improved sound and fire resistance.

Ist. question, how to fix the Oak? Steel nails will blacken, stainless screws will be visible.....

2nd. question, no reason not to fit intumescent strip but why is it sold in 5m packs? Is that 2 up each side, 1 along the bottom and all the bar ends along the top? Or am I missing something?
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Dunno to the first bit.

Regarding the second bit, I have a holiday flat which is part of a converted Georgian house. We recently had to have the entrance doors of all the flats replaced by fire doors in order to satisfy the fire safety people. The new doors were fitted with intumescent strips on both vertical edges and along the tops - with nothing at the bottom. There's actually quite a gap under my door - just as there was with the one it replaced because the floor rises slightly, and it otherwise wouldn't open over the carpet.

The Fire Officer didn't seem to be bothered about this. The logic seemed to be that smoke rises and thus wouldn't go *under* the door. Not sure I totally believe that - but at least we got the powers that be off our backs!

Reply to
Roger Mills

OT, but with ordinary uPVC door seal it is in 20m coils in most places. Assuming 6m/door (a bit left over for errors) and I wanted enough for 4 doors, SF does a 25m tub.

Reply to
PeterC

OK Peter. I think Roger solved this one. Flame or smoke under door not considered an issue.

I was considering the Screwfix packs of 5.

The door (simple ledged and braced) will need a peripheral strip of timber to close the gaps so I can slot that to suit the strip width.

Now, what do you do about hinges?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

stainless pins?

sides & top only

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In SF's dogalogue, the fire-rtaed ones are stainless steel and have several grades (I don't know what the grades mean. For a fairly heavy door on a shed I wanted 3 hinges in st. st.; SF's are pairs but Wickes had a pack of 3 (no flavour) of the size wanted and at a reasonable price (less than 3+spare from SF).

Reply to
PeterC

If you want to meets as many fire related regs as poss then 3 all metal hinges are required. I also think there is a requirement to bump up the depth of the door stops to 25mm but I can't find a ref for that.

Googling for fire door specs finds most requirements, some you wont be able to meet but it will give the spirit which you can follow.

Reply to
fred

If you want the ultimate in fire doors, you need to buy a fire door 'set' - a door pre-installed in an all-round frame whose outer dimensions are a good fit in the hole in the wall. Any spec for a door on its own is meaningless, because it depends on how it is installed.

Reply to
Roger Mills