Interior Doors

Hi,

I'm looking at replacing all my upstairs interior doors with white 6 panel doors.

Does the group think that there is any quality difference between the B&Q ones (16 pounds) or the Bostonian brand ones at Travis Perkins and Rigeons (normally ~ 23 pounds, but currently on offer at around same price as B&Q.)

That might imply that buying the Bostonian is the obvious way to go - but the B&Q ones are also available ready painted (instead of just white undercoat) for 25 pounds. Bostonian is not available like that. Ready painted is attractive to me.

Slightly OT (as not DIY): I might have them fitted instead of doing it myself. What does the group think is a reasonable price for swaping doors ? I have 9 upstairs doors to change. Frames are all in good shape. One quote so far was 50 per door which I thought high, but then he told me he would only do 2, maybe 3 in a day which shocked me.

Thanks.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

But if the doors have to be planed at all to fit the frame, you'll have to paint the planed bits, and your white will be a different white from the B&Q white, so you might as well get the unpainted ones ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well, £50 may be a little too much, but not truly excessive. I'd charge £30 to fit an internal door, and I'm dirt cheap in my pricing. A full time carpenter told me he had been offered £15 per door for new build houses - the thought being that he'd do 8 a day, making a good wage - he said he'd struggle to do one in a hour, even if the frame is truly square, which is rare, even on new builds, a typical time would be

1.5-2 hours. I recently fitted an oak internal door, and although I took my time, and did a bloody good job, it did rather surprise me that it had taken 5 hours start to finish - obviously a cheap internal door would be a little quicker to do, as there is no need to be so 'finicky' with the fittings, and fitting, as well as they are far easier to move around with such little weight. Alan.
Reply to
A.Lee

"Jim" wrote

snip............

If you want any sound insulation at all, these things are US. I have fitted many of the B&Q version and these are straightforward (for the reasons given by others). But if you want your bedroom activities to remain private - look elsewhere!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Hi,

I'd check if the existing ones and their frames are square as well as fit OK.

If so that'll make it /easier/ to DIY.

Why not try to fit one to see how it goes? If you mess up a =A325 door it's not the end of the world.

Well worth reading around a lot to get some ideas how to do it.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Personally I would not buy anything made of wood from B&Q as I've found the quality is crap.We bought internal pine wood doors,over half had to go back because they were warped so badly.I bought dado rail that could not be fitted for the same reason so now I steer well clear and go to a more reputable timber supplier were there are no issues as their storage is better and the quality of the wood superior.

Borosteve.

Reply to
borosteve

Thanks for all the inputs guys.

Further investigations reveal:

  1. The guy at Ridgeons said he DIDN'T think theirs would be any better than B&Q. Great employee :-)
  2. My sister "up north" paid 20 per door for hanging (and a decent job).

Cheers.

Reply to
Jim