Interesting...

Well one green (it's combined) but yes... :)

I am an OCD mentalhead - but I have reason to be:

Some bloke in the flat above me flooded me 3 times in the 90's - one minor, two major. He was a piss artist but otherwise a nice enough bloke.

I had a leak as my sink had no overflow and I left the water running for a bit. Luckily I was on the ground floor.

Add in other people to the equation and it's no wonder I check everything a million times.

I got a bit more relaxed when I put in a couple of CCTV cams...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Generally, everyone including the shopping bags etc enters the home via the one door. Unlike a car where all the doors and boot may be needed at once.

You can also check all the car doors have locked pretty easily. With a terraced house, you'd need to open it with the remote to get to the back door to check it's locked. ;-)

I did consider it. But a front door key takes up less space in the pocket than a remote control. And rarely fails. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bit of trivia - central locking first appeared as a method of locking all the car doors etc once you were in the car - called anti-hobo in the US. Remote operation for locking the car when leaving it came later.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You still need three greens on take off :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

I remember that; pushing down the door button to lock all the doors. Although the doors would also centrally lock and unlock if the key was turned in the driver's door lock.

Reply to
Nightjar

On the one occasion I got to sit in the right hand seat, it was all so unfamiliar that I didn't take notes.

The firm I worked for had a Cessna 421, which I flew in a few times, the most memorably occasion was from Västerås to East Midlands in headwinds were so strong that we had to stay below about 10,000 ft in order to make significant progress, which wasn't particularly comfortable.

At this height, the auto pilot couldn't get a very good radio beacon signal and kept dropping out. However, after a few adjustments, Droitwich was selected, confirmed by the familiar sound of the BBC, which was perfectly adequate until we were nearer home.

Sadly, the aircraft later failed to gain height at takeoff from a grass strip at Lausanne, and was burnt out, luckily without serious injuries to those on board.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

And for many years there was the intermediate situation where you could centrally lock the car when leaving it, by putting the key in the lock.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

On our Galaxy, the indicators flash when the doors lock. If a door isn't locked (usually because it's not shut properly) then the lights don't flash

Reply to
Chris French

ISTR it was more in response to insurance claims.

Of course those are now sky high as a result of government allowing US style litigation over personal injury...to the point where there are so many drivers who have no insurance that the premiums skyrocket again..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Three greens means your landing gear is down and locked. It is something you announce to ATC on approach, but it is equally important to have the landing gear down when taking off :-)

From what I can make out of the official report (my French is fair, but there are technical terms in it I had to look up) the pilot ran one wheel off the tarmac taxiway when turning onto the runway. The dirt it collected created a braking effect and, on a short uphill runway with a high take-off weight, that was enough to make the difference between attaining lift-off speed and not.

Reply to
Nightjar

That was pretty much what I made of the report. I reckon they were very lucky to get out of that relatively unscathed.

Over the years I have had quite a few trips to Västerås. The first time was in the Cessna, before it became a public airport, and was still shared with the military. The pilot called ahead so that passport control could turn up and stamp us in. As we landed, no sooner were we on the taxiway than a pair of Viggens touched down and were practically out of sight before they stopped. On our way out, nobody bothered to come and see us off.

Later, once turned fully commercial, there were a couple of check-in desks, and a passport office. As we walked from the plane, the baggage was loaded onto a couple of trailers. Once in the building, our cases were passed through a hatch in the outside wall and trundled along a gravity conveyor.

Now that Ryanair are flying there, under the guise of Stockholm, the place is a little bigger, but not a lot. Whilst waiting for my more expensive operator, I watched a Ryanair flight arrive. Fortunately the weather was fine, because the passport control queue snaked way out onto the tarmac. They had the aircraft serviced and got the return passengers loaded before all those incoming had made it indoors.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Are there many left on the road? Even my 30 year old Rover had factory fit CL.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I first saw it on an export spec Rolls in the '60s. Controlled from a button on the dash - not the normal key locking. I'd guess someone hadn't thought it through.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My entire fleet lacks CL...

You can go out and buy a brand new car in the UK without central locking, and with manual windy front door windows, too.

Reply to
Adrian

I never stopped being amazed at the artificial differences manufacturers would make to cars for the sake of having a difference ... of course the reality was they were selling to the company car market, in an era when the difference between pay grades might be that your car had a fuel-low warning light while the next down didn't. You had your basic model, your L, your CL, your S, LS, LX, GLS, GT ...

I remain convinced that it would have been no less expensive, if not cheaper to have a single higher specced model.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

As I tend to make my cars last, and doubt that I will ever buy new now, I don't often spend time perusing specs, but what I have noticed is that there is constant churn in the widgets for each level - it is not all improvement. Come the model "refresh" then add puddle lights, but delete electric rear windows.

I recall that my Mk3 Mondeo did not have foot well lights, but prompted by something I saw on line, I discovered that the fittings were still there, and just needed a couple of lamp bulbs inserting.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes...it's a pain.

Cheaper to manufacture that way, of course. Shades of the old IBM mainframe speed upgrade, by cutting a wire or changing the microcode.

Reply to
Bob Eager