IEE certificates

I think I have seen you gentlemen discuss IEE certificates. A friend has been told by his new insurance company to supply one for his joinery workshop. He thought being self employed and no employees he didn't need one. Was he right? If not who should have told him it was necessary? (We both realise that insurance companies can insist on things that aren't strictly necessary, but he would like to keep this one happy as they are half the price of his previous one.)

How much does an inspection usually cost? My friend is approaching retirement age, has always done his own repairs and doesn't like the idea of having to make any expensive changes. How should he find an electrician with a practical attitude?

Can anyone recomend a comprehensible website that clarifies what should be required in a workshop situation. For example are they going to tell him he can't use extension cables for his hand tools?

Reply to
Tahiri