Aldi 59 petrol generator and television

On just buying a 800 watt 'two' stroke petrol generator from Aldi, we have heard from someone who says that he has got one; and that his is running very roughly, and is really noisy.
Also it says in the instructions that it is *not* suitable for connecting to televisions or other sensitive electronic equipment.
Has anybody any experience with one of these very cheap generators ? (Only 59 ).
Also saying they are not suitable for sensitive electronic equipment; would that just be the manufacturers covering themselves? Would buying something like a *surge- protector* make it possible to use the generator with a portable television?
On 11/07/2012 7:37 PM, D. T. Green wrote:

The generator probably has poor stability in both voltage and frequency. Equipment that's senstitive to those may indeed break.
Sylvia.

Blimey, if even the manufacturer is telling you its crap, it must be REALLY crap.
No way I'd connect one to anything of mine.
Gareth.
On 11/07/2012 10:37, D. T. Green wrote:

Likely it is not just acoustically noisy but electronically noisy too and the ignition system radio emissions will cause snow on a portable TV. It might be so rough and ready electrically either voltage or frequency wise that it could fail or wreck some old sets completely. I'd expect most modern switched mode PSUs to cope with almost anything but then you are taking a risk since the maker says it is unsuitable.

I suspect your problem will be mainly electrical interference. Charging up a battery to use with your TV would get around this and be quieter.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I would have said the exact opposite of that. Linear supplies with a nice big chunk of L in the way, are pretty much unconcerned about such nasties as spikes, whereas switchers will fail if you just look at them wrongly on a day with a Y in it ...
However, that said, I would agree with everyone else that using this with modern electronic equipment would not be a good idea. OK to run a few lights (but not CFLs or electronically ballasted linear flourescents), and maybe power tools, which is probably what Aldi had in mind for it. I've actually found Aldi to be pretty honest in this respect. It's cheap, and they know it, hence the warnings.
Arfa
Arfa Daily wrote:

No. they just rectify teh peaks.
But iron transformers dont like odd waveforms.
Having said that, ive used a genny to power a laptop for watching TV on in a camper.

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:21:51 +0100, "Arfa Daily"

Switchers fail gracefully. The output voltage goes to zero. Analog power supplies are not so graceful when they fail. The output usually goes to the maximum of whatever the unregulated part of the power supply will deliver, which destroys everything connected to it. I like switchers.