I bought my first power drill from Woolies ya know.

And when Kingfisher flogged off Woolies?

"Woolworths Group plc demerger

On 28 August 2001, Kingfisher demerged its general merchandise business and new Woolworths Group plc shares were then separately listed on the London Stock Exchange. Kingfisher shareholders received one Woolworths Group ordinary share of 12.5 pence each for every Kingfisher share held. On the same date, the Kingfisher ordinary shares of 12.5 pence each were consolidated into ordinary shares of 13.75 pence each. Shareholders received 10 consolidated Kingfisher shares of 13.75 pence each for every

11 Kingfisher ordinary shares of 12.5 pence each."

That was before buying Screwfix, wasn't it?

Reply to
Rod

Ah, the memories of all that. As a youngster in the 50s, Woollies was like an Alladins Cave to me, can't think of much they didn't sell then, we even used to buy sheets of shoe leather there and the wax for finishing the heals after repair.

One of my abiding memories of Woollies back then was in the cafeteria, almost always upstairs and no matter which branch you went into the scene was almost identical. Some old biddy with arms the size of a weightlifter and wearing a headscarf would line up a couple of dozen cups in a square and proceed to fill them from a teapot the size of a dustbin, no stopping, just kept pouring until the last one was filled. finished up with tea all down the sides of the cup but you didn't dare complain. Still, that was the Wonder of Woolies.

Mike

Reply to
Old Git

R4 reported that Woolies flogged off all its property years ago and entered a rent back deal. At rents which can only go up - not down.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Woolworth in South Africa is owned by Marks and Sparks. The insides are near identical and they are nothing like Woolies here being more upmarket.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

According to one news story I read, they got rid of their freeholds several years ago on a sale and leaseback deal. A key reason the company is all but worthless is that the moment you buy it you become responsible for all the rent payments.

Reply to
Tony Bryer