How to take a screeshot from the PC monitor output of a digital projector?

I record the sound of the lecturer at a club on my laptop to help me do a write-up. It would help if I could also grab screen shots from the digital projector's monitor output D-socket. Any suggestions?

Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

If it's being fed from a Windows PC it's Ctrl + Prt Sc to grab the entire screen to the clipboard

Reply to
Graham.

screen to the clipboard

If its linux its similar. Or use te screen grab utility in 'accesories' on the gnome desktop..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or Alt + PrtSc just to get the currently active Window.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

In message , Dave W writes

There have been suggestions about screen capturing, but I'm not sure that was what you were after. That would assume access to the machine producing the images, but that doesn't sound like what you wer wanting to do.

You talked about capturing from the projectors VGA port - thinking maybe you could feed it into the laptop somehow?

There are video capture devices that connect to the USB port, but they are designed to take input from S-video/composite/or component sources. i'm not aware of anything that will take the VGa input.

Reply to
chris French

I'm glad you said that 'cos I thought I must be missing something. (And if he did grab screens from the box driving the projector it might spoil the presentation when he switches to another application to paste it - unless, as is entirely possible, I've missed some way of saving them automatically as in media playing software.)

You can (or used to be able to) get VGA-Composite convertors which would allow capture via a video card.

But would it be easier - assuming the box driving the projector has enough oomph/disk space - just to capture the whole presentation as a movie using the screen capture functionality in Windows Media Encoder/Windows Expression Encoder (or the Linux equivalent I assume exists)? See eg

the sound can be captured in that box the end result then is sound and images in one file.

Reply to
Robin

Just ask for a copy of the lecturer's slides or material.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Assuming your laptop is *not* the one producing the slideshow, and all you have access to is "what you can see" and a feed through VGA presentation from the projector, then you have three options:

1) Request a copy of the original files from the presenter 2) Use a web cam to capture screen shots on the fly 3) Use a VGA frame grabber to digitize directly from the projectors VGA port.

For 3, you could try something like:

John Rumm

Have you tried asking the lecturer for a copy of his/her slides?

Reply to
Gareth

I don't like to ask lecturers for a copy of their PowerPoint presentation, because they may have things on it that they might not want made public, and there might be copyright or security problems. I also would not like to trouble the lecturer to make screen grabs after the lecture on their laptop and copy them to my memory stick for my laptop, when they just want to catch their train.

John Rumm's item 3 sounds like what I want, presumably to convert to a USB input to my PC, but the link he gives seems to be USB to Video, not Video to USB. However, I will Google for VGA frame grabber.

I have certainly considered the use of a web cam, and have also successfully tried using my digital camera in movie mode, but was hoping for something that would give better detail.

Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

Those problems still exist no matter how you take copies of the screen.

Will you have the ability to insert your frame grabber between the lecturer's laptop and the projector?

Reply to
Andy Burns

which is

looks like a USB attached VGA display adaptor, not actually a capture card - the seller got the strap line in his eBay advert wrong.

One of these is probably more suited, but look at the price!!

Adrian C

screen to the clipboard

And if you need to take several clips from it, look out for clipmate. It costs about a tenner and will save several clips from a video.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Could be - it did seem cheap for what is a non trivial bit of technology.

Reply to
John Rumm

The frame grabber idea will probably do what you want, although I am not confident that the particular device I linked to is the one you need - the descriptions are a bit vague, and the price seems too low even for an ebay import. Chances are its just a VGA display adaptor hanging off a USB connection.

Reply to
John Rumm

These days, many university lecturers put them on the web for ready download.

No harm in asking!

Reply to
Tim Watts

agree ... then open paint and Ctrl+V to put into into paint, you can then save as jpeg .... and drop that in word or whatever you use to create write-up.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

What might work cheaply would be a device that converts from VGA to TV standards.

GRANDTEC - HAND VIEW III - VGA TO TV, GRAND HAND VIEW III - £28 ex.VAT

then pipe the output of that into a standard PC capture card, preferably one that can capture from SVideo rather than Composite.

EasyCAP USB 2.0 Video and Audio Capture Card - £14.68 inc. VAT

Given that no one in their right mind would use tiny writing in a projected powerpoint presentation, the intermediate PAL 720 x 576 (or whatever) might not be too bad?

At this point you could also video the lecturer, record his audio, edit it all together and make him a superstar on the interWebs.

Reply to
Adrian C

  1. I know, but I won't be keeping recordings or telling the lecturer.
2.The projector has an output VGA socket as well as the input one.

Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

That's exactly what I want, but can't justify the price.

Dave W

Reply to
Dave W