How to fit stem castors?

I bought 4 small-ish stem castors from Wilko yesterday, but the packets don't come with fitting instructions or what size hole to drill. The stem housing (the part that you hammer in to the table leg) appears to be tapered, so I assume I just measure the widest diameter and use a drill that provides for a snug fit?

Cheers!

MM

Reply to
MM

Yep I think so. "Snug" needs a bit of definition, too "snug" in a narrow leg runs the risk of the taper spliting the leg. I guess provided it holds that is all that is required, after all it isn't going to drop out in normal use.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks, Dave.

MM

Reply to
MM

I came unstuck with some a few years ago, fitted some of thos angled castors to the bottom of a chair. When I sat in it and tried to move it, the wheels fell off, as they seemed to be a bit like press studs, with no actual spindle to stop this, so beware, many are just not man enough to carry a person on a chair. I drilled them and put bolts through, very ornate... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff