How to detect and control water leaks outside?

There is a device called 'Water Block'. It used to be in the Plumblines UK catalogue but they have discontinued the catalogue.

I dont know who makes it but it is still available.

It is in effect a small water meter that lets a certain amount of water by and then shuts off. It is adjustable for between 5 & 50 Litres.

It is mainly used on Washing Machines and Vending Machines. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Reply to
Bookworm

Google for "excess flow valves" you may find something suitable.

Peter.

Reply to
PJK

I think you want a Pipe Guard (p/n 17865 at

(never tried it personally though).

But can't you protect the exposed pipe in some way, by boxing it in with steel/brick, or in an iron drainpipe or whatever?

David

Reply to
Lobster

We live in Suffolk on an ex smallholding which has around 9 acres of land, much of this is pasture for our two horses but we are also doing more vegetable gardening etc.

All this entails water supplies for both horses and greenhouses. While the main feeds are buried and fairly safe and reliable it's inevitable that the last few feet to the horses' waterers and to timers for the greenhouse are exposed and vulnerable to damage. One of our horses is very good at pulling pipes off!

So what devices are available for limiting the water loss if one has leak and detecting that water consumption is a lot more than normal?

We do try and turn down the taps feeding the horses' water so that there is only a trickle into their waterers (which are ball valve controlled) but a tap is not a reliable way of maintaining a small flow. Are there any devices for 'metering' water reasonably accurately so that a catastrophic leak (i.e. horse has pulled pipe off waterer) won't lose huge amounts of water? It would be useful if the 'metering' could be turned quickly to full flow for washing out etc.

Secondly some sort of alarm to draw attention to large flows that occur for a significant length of time would be useful. The meter isn't all that accessible and you can't really ask/expect house and horse sitters to grovel around in the hedge checking the consumption.

Reply to
tinnews

I bought one and was disappointed to find that it must be fixed in a vertical position and taken apart to reset if the limit function has operated.

Marks 3/10. So far it hasn't operated :-)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Thanks, I've found the "Water Block" advertised by plumbWorld, it might be of use but I don't think it quite fits the bill as it seems to be a 'one off' volume limiter rather than a flow rate limiter.

Reply to
tinnews

Ah, thanks, at least I have a name for what I want, though most of the Google hits seem to be for gas valves there are a few worth following up.

Reply to
tinnews

I have also found "Water Block" at BES Ltd., (item 13756), however the description is less than clear:-

"Water block is a flood protection system designed to offer a safety device against accidental flooding without the need for electricity. Incorporating a mechanical water meter, it monitors a preset volume of water. When the preset is exceeded the unit will close off the water supply.The re-set device is needed to re-set the water block after the unit has been activated by excess water flow. Fitted with an integral filter system. Can be preset between 5 and 50 litres/minute. WRc and TUV approved."

So is it a flowrate limiting device or is it volume limiting device?

The "Pipe Guard" (someone else suggested this too) is also at BES just below the "Water Block", and I don't really understand what that does either!

Reply to
tinnews

Yes, it *does* do what we want, the description at:-

much better and confirms it does exactly what we need.

Thanks all!

Reply to
tinnews

Vertical positioning shouldn't be a problem, you can get a resetting tool from BES (among others) presumably if you have that it doens't need to be taken apart to reset it. It's also cheap from BES.

The only issue I have with it is that it won't be obvious if it has tripped.

Reply to
tinnews

Ask BES Tech 01213226406

Reply to