How small a gap can a mouse get through?

As per the header.

I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could find was where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to let the head through.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You'll be suprised where a mouse can get. :-)

At a guess, a 2p piece sized round hole.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Less than that!, around 10mm or whatever that is in Mickey mouse measurement!.....

Reply to
tony sayer

The official government line is anywhere you can get a standard pencil in. I didn't believe it till I saw it with my own eyes - a normal sized adult mouse leaping up and vanishing through an air brick that I couldn't even get my index finger into. It astonished me at the time.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark A

From personal experience:

They can get through a 1/2" square hole (into an airing cupboard) without any difficulty. I saw one do this when I surprised the little bugger one evening.

They can also get through a 20mm knockout even when there are four

2.5mm singles running through it - Have you ever tried removing carbonised mouse from a three phase isolator?

John

Reply to
John White

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" typed

You'd get a rat through that!

I'd guess any hole large enough for a woman's little finger.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

That's a good guide but it doesn't have to be a round hole. A mouse's skull is slightly flattened, broader than it's high. A round pencil hole wouldn't allow a mouse through but squash it a bit and it would. IYKWIM.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Pencils are standardised? B****y EU. Is that a round or hexagonal pencil?

The only hole the mouse could have got into this CU was through a rectangular with two very tight 25mm tails passing through. I do believe a hexagonal pencil will fit.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

How small a gap can a mouse get through ? well, measure the hole where the tails enter the CU and that's about right for ingress. however, there seems to have been some malfunction of the mouses egress strategy :-)

Reply to
.

I have seen them go through 1/2" mesh.

Reply to
dennis

apparently they temporarily dislocate their jaw to enable them to get through tight holes.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Especially as, without food, the mouse should be getting thinner, not fatter.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Many rodents can get through a hole which their skulls will go through. Its probably the only way they can measure it (lacking small rulers and callipers).

john2

Reply to
john2

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

You could -drop- a mouse though a hole that big. More like 8 - 10mm

Reply to
Guy King

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

OK, own up, who cross-bred mice with politicians to leave us with a bunch who can dislocate their jaws so they can lie more convincingly.

Reply to
Guy King

A mouse wouldn't even touch the sides. An adult rat(*) could get through a 2p sized hole.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thats about right. Our mouse holding cage has bars spaced 7mm apart, a pencil will just go between them. No mouse has yet got out between the bars. Shrews on the other hand can, with ease...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

According to the man from Rentokil, anything you can push a Bic Biro through - say about 6mm diameter. Apparently their skull joints are flexible, allowing them to pass through holes that are smaller than the normal head size.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

In message , Mary Fisher writes

I once watched a shrew wriggle through a 5/16" clearance hole. Shoulders seemed to go one at a time.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

if a finger can get through, a mouse can.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher