How much/how big are raw sheets of glass.

I'm considering a double or triple glazed solar collector. What size are glass sheets typically supplied at?

8*4'? (will be adequately supported) What sort of ballpark price would I pay for 10 sheets of 2/6 mm delivered? Thanks. Can't seem to find an answer online.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

I picked up two 50" by 90" patio doors from a demolition site. One was made into a solar collector set at ~30 degrees slope and functioned well until one glass broke over a cold night, may have been vandals but more likely natural causes. T'other still sits here waiting for me to do something with it.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

I'm going to be making simple panels, basically take a few hundred 1*1cm bits of glass, spread a 1mm silicone layer on each side, leave to set. Now, apply a smear of silicone onto one side, place on sheet of glass, leave to set, then smear tops, and lower other pane onto them. Pump full of argon/CO2/propane, and tis done.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I forgot to add that it still functioned with little discernable difference, without measuring equipment, with just a single skin.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Alt.solar.thermal is good for this. In short I cant see any advantage to triple glazing, which makes me question your design philosophies. Are you using a mesh absorber? Is it for water or air? Are you using any concentration?

For exterior use plain glass is liable to break. Wired or laminated are better, though more money.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Basically just test panels at the moment, to compare things. (though these will be made from glass I have lying around, rather than buying new) I also plan to attempt to evacuate some panels, though this will probably just result in flying glass :)

If properly supported, and not hit by stuff, it shouldn't.

Thansk.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Don't buy new. It is possible to get misted up sliding patio door units for next to nothing from many installers. Either use these as is or open them up and clean them out.

Reply to
G&M

good one - they'll be toughened or lam as well.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Indeed. And only need a couple of holes drilled and pumped through with CO2 to make them clear again.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

From memory, looking to the rear of the glass merchants last time I was there, they seemed to be about 2400x1200, ie the same as a sheet of plasterboard, but possibly bigger. Pilkington's *make* float glass up to 3m wide so that would probably be the ultimate limit on the smallest dimension.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Oh thanks, I'd almost given up :)

I think I'll leave the 'special order from pilkington' route, as I suspect it may be a little expensive :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

why CO2 tho? Plain air works I believe.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Is anyone able to answer the Subject part of the OP's question? I.e what are standard sizes for uncut sheets of glass?

Reply to
Jan Wysocki

Plain _dry_ air would, but it's probably easier (==cheaper) to get hold of CO2 than dry (enough) air.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges

CO2 is almost as good (or slightly better, I can't remember) than Argon.

Heat conduction in a gas is dependant on the molecular weight. N2 is 18, O2 is 16, and CO2 is 48. I think Ar is 45, though I'm pulling that from dodgy memory.

I suspect argon is used instead of CO2, as CO2 may react slowly with the aluminium along with trace moisture.

Butane would be even better, with a molecular weight of 58, but has some obvious problems :)

You could fairly easily get the air dry enough. Take a large block of ice, thread some tubing through it, put it in the freezer, then blow air (slowly) through the tubing. Most of the moisture will freeze out on the walls. Good enough for double glazing anyway.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hi,

Welding argon would help the thermal performance a bit which can be important for a solar panel.

If the edges are taped with foil tape there is a good chance the DG unit won't mist up again.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

interesting. Butane sounds good too, theres no mechanism to spark it inside dg, and if it leaks the concentration and amount are going to be non problems.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Are the solar collectors going to worry about the slightly frosted view ?

Reply to
G&M