How have the mighty fallen? OT.

Wouldn't the chrome plating flake off?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

For sandwiches, yes. But not for anything else.

The vinegar of pickled beetrot is delicious! I used to sneakily drink some, my mother found out and told me it would dry my blood. It hasn't yet.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Without unwrapping it?

EEK! The silver paper plays havoc with my fillings if I leave the tiniest trace!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'd never heard of retractors until recently when a surgeon asked Spouse to make a pair. I was horrified! It takes a lot to make me squirm but those vicious things - I suppose they must have been used on me :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There it is! We now have the proof that Cadbury's *can* get their hands on decent cocoa, it's afterwards in the production process that things get horribly wrong!

Greg

Reply to
Gregoire Kretz

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:41:16 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote (in article ):

You still have some amalgam fillings?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm very old :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" typed

I am considerably younger and still have a few amalgam fillings. I've had no new ones for the last decade thobut.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

In message , Andy Hall writes

So do I.

Reply to
June Hughes

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:07:58 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote (in article ):

I'm surprised they've lasted. AFAIK, dentists stopped using this material at least 20 years ago and they have about a 20 year lifetime....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Private dentists may have stopped using amalgam but for us poor people on the Notional Health Service there's no choice unless the filling is on a front tooth or there is some reason why amalgam cannot be used. The NHS will not use non-amalgam for appearance's sake.

I've got a glass ionomer cement filling and although it's nice that it is toothier coloured it feels rougher than the amalgam fillings.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Andy Hall typed

My partner's previous dentist used them within the past 5 years. They have since come to bits,

I have some older amalgams, put in with the time and care you get with good private dentistry.

Partner had an old shoddy NHS dentist.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

No they didn't.

No they don't.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, mine were done at the Dental Hospital, only the finest and most up to date materials and techniques used there.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:40:18 +0100, Owain wrote (in article ):

Hmm.... I suspect that this is a time thing (and implied cost) rather than a material cost thing

Shouldn't do. Didn't he carefully shape and grind it?

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 14:35:35 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote (in article ):

Well.... that's what my dentist said. Nobody in the practice has for that time, nor anybody that he knows.

Less?

Reply to
Andy Hall

My dentist has replaced a couple of my fillings in the last 3-4 years and wants to do another now. They were/are around 40 years old! Graham

Reply to
graham

"Mary Fisher" typed

Most of my souvenirs from Leeds Dental Hospital are no more, though I think I have a few.

I've had them 20 years...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Andy Hall typed

Like all jobs, attention to preparation, execution and finish *vastly* influence life of the final product. A well-done amalgam, burnished a few days after completion, in a favourable mouth may last several decades. A crap job comes to bits in a couple of years.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Preparation time is the main indicator of a long-term successful filling, and something that NHS dentists don't have the luxury of.

Are you suggesting that squidging into place like thermal compound on a heatsink and smearing it round with a spatula wasn't sufficient?

I hate my teeth and would willingly have the whole lot pulled but I can't afford dentures.

Owain

Reply to
Owain