how do I change electric drill chuck?

I've bought a new 3/8 keyless chuck for my B&D drill and even before I can find out that the new one is the wrong type and doesn't fit I'm stuck, since I can't get the old one off the drill (old one doesn't tighten very well and works loose).
I've removed the screw from the chuck, where one inserts the drill bit, but the chuck is still very tight etc.
I've looked in my DIY books and skill books but no help ..
Thank you, Neil
IIRC correctly when I changed the knackered chuck on my black and decker cordless (some time ago now) I removed the screw, inserted a rod of some sort in the key hole, and whacked it with a hammer, left hand thread I guess. Good luck.
Matt

Niel A. Farrow wrote:

Having removed the central locking screw from the chuck, get a large allen key and insert into the chuck and tighten chuck, use a hammer to hit the end of the allen key so as to rotate the chuck off the nose of the drill, if it is a geared multo speed drill then put it to low speed. The chuck needs to rotate anticlock wise (looked at from the open end of the chuck)
MrCheerful

As others have said, it is screwed on with a reverse thread screw.
I normally put an allen key in the chuck, tighten up, grab hold, put drill in reverse, lowest gear & squeeze trigger. If it was really stuck, or a mains drill (prolly take my hand off!) I'd clamp the allen key in a vice.
All depends whether your drill's got enough torque to free the chuck.
cheers Richard -- Richard Sampson
RichardS wrote:

No, chucks have a conventional thread. The locking screw is left hand thread.
MrCheerful

doh! you're right, sorry.
mine doesnt have a locking screw (spindle has a hex socket to accept driver bits, so a screw would be a PITA), and whilst going through the mental motions I somehow got things twisted around....
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson
RichardS wrote:

Huh? A drill normally rotates clockwise (viewed from the rear) so if the bit snatches, such as when breaking through when drilling metal, it would tend to undo the chuck if it were a LH thread. I bet it's the locking screw that's a southpaw...hang on....just been out to the garage (any excuse to get out of the house with this heat :-) )...yep, the locking screw is LH thread on my old B&D Quattro.
"parish" <parish_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Yup, acknowledged that mistake in response to previous post. (don't ya just hate it when you press "send" without fully engaging the brain!!!!)
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson

Once upon a time, you had to remove chucks regularly to fit attachments. And the recommended way was to insert the chuck key and hit it with a hammer...
--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *

London SW 12

Yes, but OP has got a *keyless* chuck!
The nearest equivalent would be to clamp the short end of an Allen key in the chuck, and then to give the long end a sharp tap with a hammer (as has already been suggested by others earlier in the thread).
Roger

He says the new one is - but is the old one? ;-)

--
*It was all so different before everything changed.

London SW 12

Good question! I had assumed that he was replacing like with like - but I suppose that he *could* have been replacing a keyed chuck with a keyless one. Perhaps he will tell us?
Roger
JonBoy wrote:

No, chucks are standard RH thread or they would unscrew when putting screws in or when the drill jams.
MrCheerful

You're right. The first part is still valid:
...hit with a mallet or rubber hammer *in the correct direction*.
My mis-recollection was of some idiot (not me!) belting hell out of a chuck key with a steel hammer, trying to unscrew the chuck the wrong direction.

holding the drill handle with the chuck facing away from him and trying to unscrew it by turning the chuck anti-clockwise *from his point-of-view* - which is actually tightening it, of course.

No - a standard chuck has a right hand thread since basic drills go clockwise. Reversing drills have a locking screw which is left hand thread.
--
*The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.*

threaded and chuck was a normal RH thread. Neil