how difficult is it to...

Fit your own double glazing?

I want to replace the 3 aging windows that make up a bay window in my living room. The room is in a flat and is one up... for this reason I would like to know if it is possible to do the job myself and from INSIDE the flat. I presume that I would need to have windows made to my spec and that they come with the glazing removed. Questions that spring to mind...

Will the glazing be fitted from inside or outside? How do you measure up for the windows? Can I get brown upvc on the outside and white on the inside? Rough cost for windows (1x 1.5x1.5 m & 2x 1.5x0.75 m)

TIA

Reply to
Cuprager

It may be possible to remove and replace from the inside but outside access will be needed to apply weatherproof frame sealant and any upvc profiles. If the existing frames are load bearing (supporting the roof above the bay window) then you will need to fit roof supports before you remove the old frames, and the new frames will need to incorporate supporting plinths. But if there are two brick pillars separating the 3 bay windows this will not be necessary. Are the original windows box sash, or are box sash frames in place and holding later wooden replacement frames? You could take drawings of the existing windows and associated masonry to a firm that makes double glazing windows for self-fitting. They will advise you and answer your questions. The installation must meet FENSA regulations.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Cheers for the reply.

The flat is a 1900's tenement style in sandstone. There are sandstone mulleins that bear the weight of the roof structure above. The house would have had sash windows originally but there are the awfull aluminium double glazed units in there now.

I thought that you could do all of the caulking on the outside from the inside before fitting the glazing?

Reply to
Cuprager

So long as you don't fall out!

Discussion on another recent thread implies that fitting the glazing from inside is not as common as it was. If you have to glaze from outside and every window has an opener then it might be possible to glaze that first and then use the opening to glaze the other pane. At least two people and some large suction cups might be useful.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

One of these:

manatbandq

==================== I think that fitting glass from inside with a solid bead outside and a removable one inside is the preferred method from a security point of view. I fitted all mine from inside like this without any problems.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

It's not that hard. anyway, it's only the first floor, they could always use ladder for this bit if really necessary - the difficult bit is getting the window in

But you can still get it if you want, this would seem to be a good application of it.

Re other points from the OP -

Measuring up - measure hole and then give the measurements to the company making them, they will know the normal allowance for clearance I imagine. - but check that the hole is square, doesn't have any odd narrow bits etc.

colour - yes you can get brown outside/white inside for extra cost from some places.

Wickes have (or had) a leaflet on fitting windows. The pdfs seems to be on thier website now

Reply to
chris French

How difficult is it to post correctly? Why should everyone have to download and read your post just to find out what it's about? Is it really *so* hard to come up with a descriptive title?

Reply to
Grunff

I was of exactly the same opinion until recently. I bought a houseful of uPVC windows for a property I'm doing up, and specified internal beading (1) for security reasons amd (2) because I felt more confident at fitting the units from the inside - both types were readily available, it was just a Y/N question on the supplier's ticklist.

Anyway, it wasn't until I has them delivered that the driver enquired casually as to why I'd gone for internal beading. He then pointed out that these days, the criminal fraternity now identify internally-beaded windows as being *less* secure. This is because all the need to do is smash one, reach in and rip the beading off, then the whole (broken) unit just falls out leaving a large, clean opening to climb through. Contrast this with the externally-beaded window: they pull off the beads, but the sealed unit is still very firmly stuck to the frame using double-sided tape. You can smash the unit, but you're unlikely to easily get it to come away from the frame without taking considerable hacking/banging/scraping (been there, done that) which means that Joe Tealeaf is probably going to have to climb through a hole in the glass - which he doesn't like very much.

The driver also pointed out how s**te the internally-beaded windows look compared to the others - due to the frame needing to be much thicker. Thanks very much mate!

David

Reply to
Lobster

========================== I had no idea that double sided tape is used. I suppose it's just another attempt to keep one step ahead of the felon which is the best one can hope for.