Horstmann Programmable Room Stat

I have one of the small square ones from Screwfix fitted at my daughter's house.
Had a anguished call to say that the heating was stuck on and had reached 28 degrees.
Fiddled around and eventually swopped the batteries. It now works.
Was it due to the fiddling with all the settings - or do the contacts 'fail' in the closed position if the batteries weaken?
--

Regards

John

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com
John wrote:

Thats not normal behaviour for the types I've seen. Its usually low batteries = no heating. Surely the opposite would not be good idea?

I've got one of these and it does fail in the "demand" mode. I'm going to fix my old regular thermostat in line with it at a slightly higher temp just in case.

the batt fails when on demand then it won't have the oooomph to reset the relay.
The Horstmann looks like a pattern match for a Tower one I have as a temp solution and I don't hold that one in high regard.
--
fred

Yeah. I bought one of those, but never fitted it in the end. It sticks out of the wall too much, looks a bit cheap and I couldn't work out how to manual override the thing. (I'd lost the instructions).
Christian.

until the displayed demand temp blinks once, then use arrow keys to set desired override temp. Resets on next program step - easy huh ;-)
Btw, thanks for the Sunvic recommendation, could be a suitable stop gap for me.
--
fred

John Stumbles wrote:

At the risk of sounding like you know who (and whatever he's just been reading about...)
I still recommend the Centaur Stat 7 - less than 30 quid. 4 temperatures per day. 2 sorts of day assignable to any days of the week. Easy + - buttons to override. Lock button for going away for w/e hols etc. Much easier to program than any other I have tried with similar features.
Screwfix part 12517 (iIRC).
Even these controls are too complex for about half the customers.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

fred

They don't have a conventional relay but some form of 'motorized' switch - this is needed to save battery consumption. Hence the loud - and annoying - noise when it operates rather than the relaxing click of a relay. So I'd guess it might fail in either mode when the batteries die.
--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *