Room stat...Recommendations etc

?Existing stat is a simple battery back-up set temp by pressing relevant + or - button. No timer, nothing fancy in the dining room. Dining room is directly off the kitchen and often as warm as it. Front room other side of centrally mounted staircase (Door on each side and one to adjacent bathroom) if often much cooler as a result of the stat believing the temp is correct when actually for the living room it isn't

Simple questions...

I want to move the stat to the front room so it measures the temperature instead in there.

Also would like recommendation for a stat with a digital programmable timer to set daily/weekly occurrences and programs

Lastly has anyone any caveats or whatever on extending the feed cable existing to wherever I need it.

Cheers in advance

P/s...I do have an angle grinder before anyone suggests the use of it at any point

Reply to
Londonman

Londonman ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) wibbled on Monday 10 January 2011 06:31:

Heatmiser is one option (google) for mains programmer/timers.

No. Just use an approved method for extending the cable (crimps, JB suitable for environment etc).

Reply to
Tim Watts

would it be easier to just use a wireless stat? Put the receiver on the existing wire and then the sensor part can go whereever you want (within reason!)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Except then the heating will then stay on until the front room is satisfied and the dining room is too hot... Have the radiators TRV's?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Except that the relay box for the wireless stat might need a permanent live and neutral feed for the electronics and this will probably not be present at the existing stat. Unless there are wireless stats available with battery powered relay boxes.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I would abandon the current stat wiring (disconnect it at the wiring centre) and install the base unit for a programmable wireless stat at some convenient place where there *is* a mains supply - probably in the airing cupboard if that where most of the wiring connections are made.

You can then put the sensor unit in the coolest room - and can easily experiment with different positions.

Make sure that the other rooms have TRVs fitted to their radiators so that the currently warmer rooms don't get *too* hot. [Simply turning down the lockshields, as one person suggested, is *not* the way to go unless the system is way out of balance.]

As far as choice of stat goes, I'd put my money on a Honeywell CM927 - which will set you back about £100 - b ut worth its weight in gold!

Roger Mills

Yup, the stat wants to be in the last place to typically be satisfied temperature wise. Careful balancing and TRVs on the rooms likely to overheat helps greatly as well. Make sure there is no TRV in the room with the stat. If there is, then set it to maximum, or just remove its control head.

These seem pretty good:

Lastly has anyone any caveats or whatever on extending the feed cable

Follow the usual rules regarding cable zones etc:

you need to bury a connection in a wall then:

John Rumm