"Home Strip" paint stripper

OK, I'll modify what I said. As more people become environmentally away of the cost to the environment they'll think less of the cost to their pockets.

We do and we're officially below the poverty line so don't throw 'people can't afford it' at me :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Ahem, I think you'll find that he's taking the p**s out of people who are dumb enough to not realise that Dihydrogen Monoxide is, well, extremely dangerous but an excellent chemical to use if you want to wash things, not calling people who care about the environment daft.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Ultimately, the cost of cleanup of the environment comes out of our [taxed] pockets anyway, and even buying green doesn't get you out of that one.

A study I saw not long ago, about the cost of supermarket food, put it at about twice the price you see on the shelves. The half you don't see is payed for from taxes used to subsidise the industry. So even if you buy from local suppliers, you are *still* paying for half of everyone else's groceries at the super market.

I don't think a choice is going to help much in this case. So, do you want high-VOCs paint stripper for £5 a tin, subsidised to the tune of £5 out of your taxes (so you have already paid £5 for it, whether you buy it or not), or do you want to pay £10 for a more environmentally responsible product, what at the same time, subsidising the other one? That is a no-brainer to most people;-) The government needs to start removing the subsidies from many of these unsustainable industries and reveal the true costs. *then* people can decide where they are going to buy their products.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

I use it too. It is *very* good stuff. It is particularly good at removing layers of dubious origin from old wood (stuff I have on my Victorian banisters, for example) and modern wood primers. Nitromors never used to touch these under-layers.

It still stings if it touches your skin, and gives a kind of 'cool' feeling. My guess is that there is still some volatile solvent of sorts in there, though whatever it is, it does not have a smell.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

...said the bishop to the actress.

Reply to
Jason

More likely a chance for manufacturers to up their profits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Um - I was thinking about personal environment, not the general one - although that would come second. I don't want the smell of the stuff nor what it does to surfaces it's not recommended for.

Who says?

Given the choice I'll do the latter.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You do?

What about hydrogen hydroxide?

Now that stuff CAN be dangerous. It kills many people each year. It dissolves almost everything - eventually. It doesn't taste or smell and has no colour so you aren't suspicious of it.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

hydrogen hydroxide, Dihydrogen Monoxide - same thing isn't it?

I've heard it can also be detected in rain, just about everywhere in the world.

Reply to
Jason

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Nasty stuff, I believe many people also use it for leisure purposes, some of them even immerse themselves in it totally for 'exercise'.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Well done!

Really? They never told me that ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Anyway, Swarfega removes oil paint without apparently containing anything too nasty. Maybe the strippers are just stronger versions of that.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yes, this was the point I was making that seems to have been missed in a lot of the debate on this thread - i.e., that it worked really well for me, full stop, not that it worked well considering it is environmentally friendly. I didn't really make any claims about its greenness as I simply don't have the facts or knowledge available to me to back them up. All I can say is that it is a lot more pleasant to use than Nitormors and seems to get the job done better. For that, I am willing to pay a premium, paint stripping being one of my least favourite jobs.

Having said that, on a volume for volume comparison (not necessarily valid, I know) it seems to be priced about the same as Nitromors as far as I can see, depending on where you buy it from.

Bob.

Reply to
bob.smithson

I' ve never known swarfega removing paintwork on wooden or metal surfaces ... cleaning paintbrushes are a different matter.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It wouldn't be my choice of suicide ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

As far as I could see you said nothing about its greenness :-)

There are some who take the opportunity to knock environmentally friendly products whether or not that property has been mentioned. I don't know why, they can't have any axe to grind.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

US web page but you might like it anyway,

campaign leaflets etc for you to print off and handout to concerned members of the public, might even be worth trying it on with the local paper?

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Our local paper distorted everything report I ever sent them even when they agreed not to so they get nothing from me any more.

Bitterness creeping in :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What's a tressel table?

What's Dom Joly?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's a traditionally English item of furniture, from which the village of Stackton Tressel took its name.

Particular features of such furniture are its Hinge and Bracket.

An "entertainer" on television, I surmise.

I seem to remember glancing past the name in The Times.

Owain

Reply to
Owain