Home CCTV

Hi everyone, I'd looking to implement a home CCTV system. Ideally one with an iPhone/iPad accessible central recording facility, NVR or DVR type device.

3-4 cameras are all I'd really need. Night vision and easy cabling are important, as are cameras suited to be used outside. I'd prefer to buy within the UK to avoid long delivery times and being stung for fees. I saw a Swann kit in costco that looked expensive and poor quality.

Any suggestions?

Any advice gratefully received.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

I'd go for IP Cameras at the core and either use the cameras' local record, detect and email abilities, or buy a copy of Xeoma to use at the core.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You could start here, although there are plenty of sources:

CPC/Farnell sell systems and components. If you use Linux, then Zoneminder is your friend.

Reply to
Davey

I'd much prefer everything to be held centrally. What kind of machine does Xeoma need to run - I've got a HP Microserver running always on.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

It should easily run on an HP microserver. It's very linux friendly, though apparently will run on MacOSX and Windows too.

Re forum - sorry, cannot remember. There are so many...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'm looking more for personal recommendations of good kit and a good seller. Hikvision cameras seem to get good press, but I'm not sure they'll combine with a NVR type device, or if there are any UK sellers that don't charge a huge premium over importing them myself.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Ah - this seller claims English firmware and half the price of UK suppliers:

Now I know the foibles I might get my future ones here...

Reply to
Tim Watts

The Zoneminder recommendation is still valid, then. And it's free!

Reply to
Davey

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Thanks. Does anyone know what kind of hit I'm looking at for the duty?

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Theoretically 14%

In practice not likely to be charged, at worst you might get hit for VAT depending how it's declared on the paperwork ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I thought duty had been done away with and all you were liable for was VAT?

Reply to
Tim Watts

/ I thought duty had been done away with and all you were liable for was VA T?/q

I thought there are/were? Duty thresholds such that items costing

Reply to
JimK

The trouble is that if they do charge you the admin fee will probably be around £12-£15.

I have been lucky so far having got a nvr and three cameras from china with no duty/vat.

Reply to
dennis

It's the fee that puts me off. I don't mind the duty, if I've got to pay it I've got to pay it, I just resent the level of the charge they make for paying it for me :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

For that rate, I'd rather find a seller that charges me the duty and pays it on sending the item. Amazon.com do this - I bought a pebble smart watch that turned up from Royal Mail and looked like a normal parcel, no hint it had been sent from overseas. It had, as I was able to track it, but very interesting.

Anyone know of any sellers that offer this option?

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Have a look at System Q.

Bill