Help setting up a wireless network (please!)

There's directional and directional.... something like this ...

be perfect for a large back garden.

BW

Reply to
Bambleweeny57

Lets hope you don't get too much interference from elsewhere with that;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

I laughed, wifey wanted to know why, and I made the mistake of telling her. We both got a glare :-)

TBH, I'm far from an expert (which is obvious!), but I'm fairly relaxed, now. The main network is all wired, with the exception of the one net book. PCs on our wired network, can see the name of the net book, but cannot access any files. The net book can see the name of our home (wired) network, but none of the PCs on it.

Reply to
Graeme

Microshit firewall. Turn it off. Prevents file sharing by default.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To be fair, if you use the wizard for setting up a network in the first place, it also sets the options in the firewall.

Reply to
John Rumm

Or better still, inspected and *then* deleted.

Reply to
Ian White

Neither of those would be stored on *your* computer though, if someone else had hacked into your wireless network.

But your ISP would probably know what sites had been accessed via *your* connection - and may be required to reveal that to Plod.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Amongst other things, some sites set cookies without you having to register or do anything other than look at a page.

Then the unused areas of the disc overwritten by a suitable program otherwise the information is still there in pristine condition. If you want to get really paranoid you overwrite each sector several times with a different pattern each time.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

which of course is a nice bit of technical evidence that 'it wasn't me, gov'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depends on your OS, and also, they will be immediately overwritten by the next set of cookies that get setup.

They are not usually discrete files, just one file.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was thinking more about checking for cookies that don't fit the pattern of my own activities (which are of course completely innocent :-) .

Aside from that, I don't exhibit anything more than normal paranoia

Reply to
Ian White