Help in identifying a spanner size

I have a nut on my outboard motor that I need to undo with an open ended spanner ... need to go and buy the spanner, but want to confirm the size .. mistake could be costly.

It is not metric as I have tried 28 & 30mm metric spanners, it is a tad smaller than 30mm. Assume that it will be an AF as most outboard nuts are AF due to American Market.

I measured it with callipers and the size comes in at 29.12mm which is

1.146"

Anybody know what size spanner this should be ? ... my best guess is 1

5/32" AF ... if such a thing exists.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

============================== Judging by your measurement it could be a 29mm metric. They do exist although not commonly used.

See here:

here:
good tool merchant will probably stock them as well.

Cic.

Cicero

The message from "Rick Hughes" contains these words:

I don't think it exists. If it is not 30mm I think the most likely is 1

1/8 AF (Unified 3/4") which has a head size 1.125/1.115 compared with M30 at 30.0/29.67). 8 My calipers don't discriminate to 2 decimal places but the inside of my 1 1/8" socket measures 29.3 mm.
Reply to
Roger

Why are you using spanners? havn't you heard of rachets?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

This might be a useful place to look

Kaiser

A ratchet will never do the job of a spanner, don't you know?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The3rd Earl Of Derby

I'd get a suitable Metrinch socket - they fit a range of sizes. Ie the one which just fits over the nut will grip it as well as a 'proper' one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What you quote is a ratchet spanner, not a ratchet :-))

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In the larger sizes imperial spanners/sockets don't have increments of 32nds of an inch. It may be a special nut not manufactured to a normal size with a special factory tool to remove it. Either use an adjustable spanner or the

30mm one with feeler gauge blades to pack out the gap.
Reply to
Dave Baker

1-1/8" will fit ok

-

Reply to
Mark

========================== And not open-ended as required by the OP.

Cic.

Cicero

Without wishing to teach Grandma to suck eggs I suppose it's also possible that due to burrs or rounding off marks on the corners of the nut you haven't measured it properly and it really is only 1.125" and a 1 1/8" spanner would tap on to it easily enough.

Reply to
Dave Baker

This takes me back to when I borrowed my brothers trailer and one of the wheel nuts came off. All wheel nuts seem to be a standard metric thread, except this one. As a stop gap I fitted a conventional unf nut but still needed to get the correct nut with tapered seat. I tried everywhere until a bit of detective work with my brother determined that he had bought the trailer off some guy who used to work for New Holland in Aylesbury. Putting 2 and 2 together the guy had obviously made the trailer from bits and pieces at work and after a visit to an agricultural supplier somewhere in the wilds of Cambridgeshire I found the correct nut that fitted a Massey Ferguson tractor.

kevin

Reply to
Kev

I bought a 1 1/8" AF and it fits OK .,.... so that was the boy. Just wish it wasn't =A314 + vat for one spanner !

Reply to
Osprey