Help - Cat flap "trap" design

Our cat did start bringing things in - much to my now wife's consternation, as she sat writing out our wedding invitations, he dropped a live mouse right next to her! Oddly enough this was only the second thing he'd brought in in six years - the other being half a buttered barmcake!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That's pretty much exactly what mine brought in too, except rats. I woke to find a rabbit in my bedroom, having escaped from the cat and got behind something the cat couldn't reach. I gave the rabbit a 10 minute head start across the garden, before letting the cat out of my bedroom. That was the only rabbit which was still alive when we found it.

We had loads of squirrels in the garden too, and she used to stalk them. They took no notice until she was a few feet away, and then shot a tree. She never got one, but did get stuck up a tree for some time trying to, when she was a young cat.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What did your cat have to say about all that going on lol and how did you manage to get the other cat out the kitchen in the end?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Starling

How does anyone get to manage cats?

Adrian C

My cat just slept; burglar cat was "shown" the back door (via a bowl of water).

Reply to
NoSpam

When a tom came a visiting here our cat high tailed it out and wasn't seen for about an hour before cautiously returning. The tom however hasn't been seen since, I don't think it appreciated being scruffed to the extent of being half strangled, sat on and finally lobbed 15' out through the door. I still have the marks from being scratched but I know that the only (relatively) safe place to grab a cat is the scruff of the neck, hard. You then only have to worry about claws rather than a mouth with teeth designed to cut flesh and crunch bones...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Stray cats are a perfect excuse to go out and buy a Super Soaker N (greater N the better!)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Mark

I was always told if you carry a cat by the scruff of the neck it doesn't hurt them. It also makes their body go limp as you are pinching a nerve. As in when mother cat carries kittens by the neck they don't kick around. Also when father cat is get personal with mother cat he bites her neck so she can't wriggle away.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Starling

They do go limp(*) as that is the way mother cats moves them as kittens but I don't think it's anything to do with pinching a nerve, more a reflex froma tight grip on the skin/fur on the back of the neck.

(*) Well eventually said tom wrapped his claws around my lower arm and hand until going floppy but he was in a fighting mood until I got a *very* firm and tight grip on the scruff of his neck.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Works for me, too...

Reply to
Lobster

I don't think I've ever laughed so much as the time years ago when our cat came tearing down the garden with another (unknown) in hot pursuit.

Ours dived through the magnetic-collar-controlled catflap like a bat out of hell, and about a millisecond later the other cat - which didn't have the benefit of a magnet - slammed face-first into the door. Don't how it didn't break (door or cat, either of them); but it was a pure Tom-and-Jerry moment.

David

Reply to
Lobster

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember RobertL saying something like:

My ex-town cat took to country living like he was born to it and used to kill hares on a regular basis. This went on until one night he tangled with a badger...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon