Having a scratch repaired. Again and again...

Pal has a near new Suzuki. In bright red. It collected a scratch on the tailgate. About 12 inches long. Probably vandalism.

The dealer said 300 quid to sort it, so I offered to have a go at buffing it out. Didn't look to have gone through the paint - but the dealer said it had. Pal decided not to bother.

Then asked the dealer about a cheaper repair. They offered one for 80 quid. Which was a mess.

So with it now looking far worse than the scratch did, had to go for the

300 quid one. Took a week. Came back the wrong colour (I didn't see this one)

Back in to be done by a different paint shop. This time the paint matched and my pal happy.

Saw the repair today for the first time. Another pal present. He says 'why is there paint on the number plate, and why are there marks at the side of it?'

Examination showed what looked like deep chips in the original paint which had been painted over. Three of them. Biggest about the size of a 5p.

The paint finish in the numberplate recess looked straight out of the gun

- not the glassy smooth like the rest of it. With a couple of fish eyes too.

So back into the main dealer for attempt number four. They're also going to upgrade the sound system and fit reversing sensors, so watch this space for more tales of woe. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

FWIW I observed and had excellent results from a "chips away" type block a couple of years ago - so good that he promptly became area manager and then emigrated - the bastard ;>))

He sorted a nasty scuff on a wheelarch, scratches on a door, scuffed bumper on another, and other smaller bits and bobs - was here most of a day, used my elec... but I thought it was =A3200 well spent - the repairs were *undetectable*...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I was hoping he was going to try one of these types of outfits. I'm told they can do wonders with scratches and chips.

Sadly, many seem to be fully employed going round secondhand car dealers doing several cars at one visit, and can't be bothered with small one off jobs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe tho I expect the tight-dealer-based jobs don't pay anywhere near as well as a retail punter.....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

At one time there was stuff like coloured putty you could rub into scratches. Dunno if it's still about. You let it harden & then T-cut it.

Still is in my garage - 'cellulose putty'/'knifing' etc - but these are the days of the car as fashion accessory: not tool, so everything has to be perfect, and insurance and hence waste, astronomical. Still, the fuel will run out soon...

Spamlet

FWIW I observed and had excellent results from a "chips away" type block a couple of years ago - so good that he promptly became area manager and then emigrated - the bastard ;>))

He sorted a nasty scuff on a wheelarch, scratches on a door, scuffed bumper on another, and other smaller bits and bobs - was here most of a day, used my elec... but I thought it was £200 well spent - the repairs were *undetectable*...

Can they also treat scratches & scuffs to the plastic 'bumper' panels ? Honda quote £300+ for a new panel.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Donno but as most simply painted as well rather than self coloured I can't see why not.

A new panel can be fitted by one of their trainee workshop monkeys in

30 mins, not to mention the markup on the parts... Doing a paint touchup job needs someone with the training and skills do even a half decent job, with very little in the way of materials.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

if painted ones Yes! - my wheel arch scuff was on painted plastic - if not painted..dunno

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K