Have I upset Screwfix?

Page 1 of 2
I certainly intend to!
Two days ago a job came up where I needed something urgent from Screwfix. Placed the order (nearly £200 worth!) at 1pm in the afternoon, and raised the ante by requesting fastest possible delivery by 10am the next morning (yesterday). That way I could go back on-site and do the job yesterday.
10:05am yesterday - no delivery. On the phone to Screwfix asking where my order was. Quick check on the computer system......"I'm sorry Sir, it was packed last night but it is still sitting in the warehouse".
"Err, but I paid for fastest delivery......!"
Lots of apologies. Order was despatched yesterday.
It turned up this morning before 10am (not good enough Screwfix, but that's an argument for another time). Delivery man had problems stumbling up the garden path with it - it was damned heavy! Most odd, because I hadn't ordered anything particularly heavy.
Opened the order up. About 50% of what I ordered was in the box. The other items I had ordered were completely missing.
And there were some additional items within. 3 long flexible bath tap hoses with valves - I didn't order those. And nor did I order the 3 boxes of stainless steel tiles which were the heavy items. Those boxes are £110 each, so Screwfix blew it big time with this order.
Got on the blower to Screwfix, got told that the rest of my order could not be shipped until they had received back the surplus items and checked them back in. I told the guy to stuff it - I'd buy the items I needed elsewhere and keep the £340 worth of goods they'd shipped by mistake as compensation instead.
After a quick chat with Screwfix supervisor the guy on the end of the phone said he'd got permission to send my order now, and collect after. Great customer satisfaction - now why didn't they think of that first?
AND.....remember I paid for fastest delivery? Well they haven't refunded that payment - so I've paid for fastest possible delivery from Screwfix, they didn't abide by the contract, and they expect me to pay for it. Letter has gone off to the Managing Director of Screwfix to explain why I'm feeling very unhappy.
Given the number of problems people seem to be having with Screwfix I'm thinking about setting up a ScrewfixSux web site where people can record their feelings about this great company, just like you get with PayPal and NTL (and probably others). Anyone else think this might be a good idea?
PoP
-----
My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk
I apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!
Add pictures here
βœ–
<snip familiar sounding rant>
I've stopped bothering with Screwfix unless they're way cheaper than everywhere else or the only place that stocks a particular item, which is extremely rare. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Add pictures here
βœ–

===================Moral of the story is get up of your fat arse and nip down there or your local diy saves money and disappiontment
Grouch
rm at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

Add pictures here
βœ–
PoP wrote

Well you've upset me, when are you going to reply to my e-mail ?
Are you busy or something ... ;-)
Paul.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 18 Feb 2004 07:47:49 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@technologist.com (Zymurgy) wrote:

First, what email? I haven't seen anything to reply to!
Second, I sent you an email about 10 days ago (to the email address in your usenet header) following a post you made on this forum. My email bounced straight back, your mail server wouldn't accept it.
I got the impression that maybe you were using an email address in the header which wasn't legit..... ;)

Overwhelmed. I'm now booking mid-March gigs. I am 110% committed for the next 3 weeks.
PoP
-----
My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk
I apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!
Add pictures here
βœ–

Still waiting.....
PoP
-----
My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk
I apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Was it an internet or phone order?
I've not had too many problems with Screwfix. 99% of the time it's been a problem with the courier. In a recent order I was sent one Cat 5 module instead of the pack of 5 I ordered. Didn't make a big difference to me as I had ordered surplus to current requirements.
I don't think there is one mail order company you will ever have a smooth ride with, unfortunately. I never rely on anything mail order now, I always wait for the stuff to turn up first or keep items in stock. If I need it straight away I'll grab it from Wickes or B&Q etc. A day wasted normally outweighs any saving you may have made by ordering from Screwfix.
Add pictures here
βœ–

OTOH you can easily waste almost as much time traipsing round the sheds & merchants. I just try to keep as much of the bread and butter stuff in my stock and schedule jobs I'm ordering stuff for to allow time - _plenty_ of time - for it to arrive.
FWIW I've had a Screwfix before-10am delivery that didn't turn up all day (ParcelFarce to thank for that one), rarely had a next-day delivery, and had various mistake items in deliveries (mostly to my advantage!). However when it's come to returning dodgy or unwanted items they've been as good as gold. BES for their part almost routinely screw something up on each order: usually stuff out-of-stock, some wrong items, and twice they've forgotten an order placed by their web site (because apparently they _print_ _off_ orders placed by the www and carry them over to where they process orders received by phone etc!). Also their stock database is seriously defective: go to http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/161a.asp and look under Plain Hollow Plugs - Malleable for a 1" plug: it's part number 6448. Now go to their main page http://www.bes.ltd.uk/nav_graf/frames_cat.htm and enter 6448 in the Part Number Search box ... I had a bit of a shock when I looked at the total price of my order, fortunately before I'd submitted it. Had to do it by phone, instead :-(
The only mail-order lot I haven't had any trouble with is toolstation.com, but I've only placed one order with them so far - no doubt they'll rise to the challenge :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:24:33 -0800, "John Stumbles"

I try that approach as well. On this occasion I was on a two-day job and on day 1 I got asked to take on a job which I hadn't expected in advance, hence the urgent order to Screwfix.
PoP
-----
My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk
I apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!
Add pictures here
βœ–

I placed an order earlier today and was told before I'd even said who or where I was, that I wouldn't get it till Friday (so much for the 'usually next day delivery', which I have to say has almost always happened for me). Very busy apparently... it does worry me that their standards are slipping though. But at least they warned me in advance.
<snip>

A newbie who didn't know what he could and couldn't allow, maybe?

Don't blame you!

Well I still rate them, anyway. Today I whinged about a cable-reel which I bought back in September; the socket shutters are really stiff and awkward, and have never freed up with use as I'd expected. No problem, they've refunded me and are collecting the duff item from me on Friday (same day as the replacement will arrive).
David
[...]

Hi,
Apparently they are moving their warehouse from Somerset to the north west. So I bet their not-too-well-paid warehouse staff in Somerset are really pleased their hard work has earned them the reward of redundancy, NOT!!!
Anyway it's all in a good cause, the Kingfisher executives will get a fat bonus, and their shareholders might even get something too!
In the meantime I wouldn't fancy the chance of getting a 100% correct order, and I doubt they will ever be good as they used to be.
cheers, Pete

Add pictures here
βœ–

Thanks for that info - as a man originally from the south west that gives me enough incentive to no longer order from ScrewFux.
Actually to be honest I haven't ordered from screwfux for quite a while anyway because none of my orders from them have ever turned up on time - I'd rather go to Travis Perkins or PlumbCenter or whatever and see and feel the goods (for quality) and pick them up when I want them.
--

Regards.

Nick Pitfield ( snipped-for-privacy@nickpitfield.com)
βœ–

I'd add a couple of things to this.
If you don't get a reply to your letter to the Screwfix MD in a week, I would send another letter by special delivery and cc. it to Gerry Murphy, the CEO of Kingfisher.
The interim annual report has some interesting remarks. I believe that somebody posted recently that Screwfix had had a planning issue in Yeovil and was relocating some of their business. It appears that they are building a 30,000 sqm automated fulfillment centre in Stoke on Trent to be operational 1st half 2004. Given this situation, I wonder if there is a morale drop in the present warehouse because of impending end-of-job?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thanks for that. I'll see what happens.

Definitely. I've been in this sort of situation myself. However that doesn't excuse Screwfix from carrying out its obligations.
Just opened the advertising material in my Screwfix delivery a few minutes ago. Sheet of paper within - guaranteed next day delivery before 10am is available. Err, no it isn't.
PoP
-----
My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk
I apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!
Add pictures here
βœ–

Then it's big compensation time...... :-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
βœ–

As of this morning I have acquired the www.screwfixsucks.co.uk domain name. I'm just waiting for it to propogate on the Internet, then assuming I don't get a response from the MD at Screwfix I am going to publish the documentation of this fiasco. The URL will be sent to Gerry Murphy for his comment. I am careful about such things as libel so I'll stick to the facts.
It sure would be simpler and cheaper for them if Screwfix decided to deal with my complaint!
PoP
-----
My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk
I apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wow PoP! You go girlfriend!
Suz
Add pictures here
βœ–

I posted about their service a while back and it's got worse. So I've given up on them where possible. BES in Brum is good for plumbing stuff. Next day means just that.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Not for me it hasn't! I am not exactly a big time buyer but they have certainly screwed up quite seriously - including, for example, accepting an order for a specific item and then not sending it because they were out of stock. But of course helping themselves to the money and claiming that it was in there to begin with. And taking two or three days for what should have been next day.
My biggest problem (so far) with Screwfix was getting them to collect an item that I rejected (bad paint finish on a radiator) - took three or four goes to get shot of it. (Fingers crossed - got an order in for delivery tomorrow - don't like the sound of Friday...)
Rod
Add pictures here
βœ–