Has this plumber overcharged

Hi,

A plumber charge 1400 for fitting a condensing baxi boiler to an existing heating system in a 4 bedroom 1970s detached house. After initially working for one day it stopped. He then charged another 800 pounds to replace the boiler with a different larger baxi combi 105 HE model (he said that he was not charging for labour for this he was just charging for the boiler). He also replaced the hot water storage tank with a small radiator and redirected some of the water flow by taking out some old pipes and soldering a new set. It now works fine.

He said that initially he was trying to get the job done using a method that may save money and that these new condensing boilers have some kind of digital logic inside them that means that they will stop working altogether if something isn't quite right and that they are trickier to fit than other boilers you could fit before April this year.

Reply to
wrreisen

He sounds like a complete crook.

Not only have you ended up with a combi boiler that you didn't ask for, but you've ended up with a non-condensing one. He's charged an extra 800 quid to fit a less efficient illegal boiler that has been burning a hole in his van as he can't legally install it. Note that this boiler costs about 635 pounds including VAT. So you've been charged 1400+800-635=1565 to have an illegal installation and have lost your storage hot water. This means you will have nice showers, but will have to wait an eternity for a bath.

The reason the initial install didn't work, assuming he didn't sabotage it, is because he installed a model with an appalling reputation. Many Luddite plumbers continue to install terrible secondary exchanger boilers from manufacturers who made good standard boilers ten years ago and then seem surprised when these second rate appliances do not work.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Sounds very dogy to me,,you paid twice for one boiler??

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUME>CONFORM>OBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.

tarquinlinbin

Thanks for your replys.

Before April would the 1400 + 800 = 2200 have been about right or how much over the top would this have been for fitting this kind of boiler and doing this kind of work?

My mother lives in this house and she is housebound and not very well. She would not have benefitted from the disruption of the entire system including radiators being replaced. I have heard that condensing boilers can be fussy and that this can be necessary to get them to work correctly.

With the circumstances with my mother do think he may have made this illegal fix to get the job done with causing too much disruption. Yes I've paid twice for one boiler.

He has been paid the 1400. The 800 has been sent to him via a cheque. He has not cashed this yet.

What would be the best course of action if I am displeased with this work.

Reply to
wrreisen

Stop cheque asap. Write him a letter telling him why. Also contact Corgi and find out if he is registered.

Reply to
OldBill

You could stop the cheque immediately, but I'm not sure about the legal ramifications of that.

Once you know whats going on, if he has acted illegally, you have nearly all the power, and you get to say what happens. If he wont comply you can go to trading standards.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

If you've got his CORGI number (from his advert / van / invoice) stick in here:

(or

Lobster

Hi,

I've checked the baxi combi 105 HE is a legal condensing boiler.

2200 over the odds for the work done in fitting this boiler?

Thanks.

Reply to
wrreisen

It is extraordinarily rare that the radiators need replacing. It is true that a condensing boiler would benefit from larger radiators, but this is not a requirement. The main issue is if it is an ancient single pipe system, which is bad news for any boiler.

It sounds like your plumber will spout any old bollocks because of his anti-condensing prejudices.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you are just talking boiler only then that is way too excessive ..but if you have paid then too late.

Reply to
Rick Hughes