Harnessing ones own gas

Attempted yes, I have just realised the flaw in this plan after test running this thing for 10 minutes at only 1250 rpm I was horrified at it fuel consumption. No wonder the country is going broke and we are running out of oil if the army have been using any number of these for the last ? years. I may have to go round all the local petrol stations every night switching the petrol/diesel labels.

-
Reply to
Mark

Most (all?) cooking oils are vegetable derived thus carbon neutral. The fact that HMG inists on taxing such energy sources at the same rate as fossil fuels really shows which side this government thinks it's bread is buttered. The government is only paying lip service to developing renewable energy.

Bio derived fuels ought be taxed at a rate significantly less than fossil derived ones. The coresponding decrease in the retail price would create a demand and thus stimulate the production of such renewable fuels.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But they are not environment neutral, like most so called green products they can cause huge "unseen" problems. Displacement of traditional crops for biofuel production is conveniently forgotten, the excitation requirements for wind turbines is another, the toxic waste from solar cell production is another. The list goes on and on.

On the underside if you drop it, using the vast butter mountain. ;-)

Maybe they want to avoid a monoculture environment and ensure there is still food on the shelves down at Tesco when you drive there in an "environmentally friendly" car.

When they start putting a significant amount of freight back on rails.... expect fuel duty cuts on biofuels to follow within five years :-)

Reply to
Matt

I carefully didn't mention the enviroment only carbon. B-)

Everything we do produces waste some of it pretty nasty some of it more or less harmless. The land around here could be used to grow willow, all be it slowly compared to lower and warmer climes. I suspect you could still have the sheep grazing between the stumps once established.

More likely they are responding to the commercial pressure groups. It's well know that wind farms are much more effcient off shore but all the private companies want to build on shore because it's significantly cheaper. Perfectly obvious that they are not building windfarms to "save the planet" only to get get money from HMG for the benefit of the directors and shareholders.

Oink flap, the canals could be used as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice