Hanging Kitchen Units

Is it OK to only hang kitchen wall units from the two screws. Or are 4 screws a must, i.e. 2 top and 2 bottom.

Thanks

Reply to
Nick

Only two at the top? Mine have four.

Are the two at the bottom to stop it coming out of a hook arrangement for adjusting them? They are on mine and I would recommend fitting them having experienced a couple of earthquakes here in Tipton.

Reply to
dennis

Surely if there are 4 holes for screws you should use them?

Reply to
David P

Actually there is a bit of a hidden agenda. MFI (don't laugh) are fitting our kitchen and the fitters have left the units hanging and say that it isn't necessary to fit four screws. I intend to get my hands on some instructions but I just wondered what the norm was. My old kitchen had four screws, but then they weren't hung and I just wondered if that mattered.

Reply to
Nick

I used screws only for the initial fix. The main fixing is by rawlbolt, which are much stronger and easily retrofitted without even removing the cabinets. My units were MFI, too.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I wonder if they used all the supplied fixings when assembling the cabinets? ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's a good angle to for me to work with - Thanks for that.

Reply to
Nick

I put an inch and a half by two inch rail under my units. With this you can pick up the vertical studs with a screw. Then use either two or four screws in the rear of the unit. Sometimes the rear is only hardboard so that wont have any strength.

x-- 100 Proof News -

3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 100,000 other groups x-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Chris McBrien

You need something pretty substantial as wall cupboards can get pretty heavily loaded. I once fixed some cheap ones with just two screws at the top into brick and one fell off. That was before the days of the now common adjustable fixings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)