Halstead Quattro

Hi,

I have a Halstead Quattro combi-boiler in a flat I've just moved into (six months). The boiler works fine when the heating is on, we get hot water and the heating comes on. However, when the heating is switched off, and we turn the hot tap on, the boiler comes on and the ignition light comes on. But we don't get hot hot water, if after leaving the taps on.

When we moved in it all worked. Shortly afterwards a gas engineer changed our meter and fiddled about with the boiler, and I think he might have messed about with the bolts and dials on the boiler, and changed something.

Has anyone experienced this problem, or does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks in advance,

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Not quite the same problem, but I'll describe what was wrong with ours - we have the Quattro gold so assume its similar. On ours when there heating was on we got hot water, however when the heating was off, we got no hot water - I can't quite remember if the boiler lit up or not when turning on the taps, anyway I tracked the problem down to a hole in the diaphragm on the diverter valve, cost about £20 for the new part - if it is the divert diaphragm you should be able to over ride the microswitch on the top of the divert.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

The meter exchange contractor (cf. Engineer) was probably trying to purge the air/gas mix out of the installation pipework (See Gas fitting FAQ).

The boiler seems to be suffering from some sort of ignition failure (it's not a water flow detection problem since the ignition light comes on).

It's possible that the ignition for heating is unreliable but eventually lights after a number of attempts?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

This type of fault can occur on a number of boilers,

Initially the water flow is detected by the micro switch and the control system begins the ignition sequence. However the control at some point requires a continued or better contact from the switch which it does not get so the boiler gets stuck.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Actually, thinking back, our Quattro also suffered from the original problem of firing up and not igniting, aswell as the divertor valve problem, unfortunately I was away so the wife had to sort it (middle of winter) - the guy had to fit a new PCB containing the electronic ignition, which in total cost over £300 for parts and labour. Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson