Half my TV channels have disappered - why?

Hi friends,

During the last 48 hours, half of the TV channels we used to get have become unavailable, apparently due to a very weak (or non-existent) signal on those channels. We use a regular TV arial, with a signal booster, and a digital set-top decoder. Would it be anything to do with the final termination of analog transmissions that I'm told occurred a couple of days ago. Or is it just coincidence that both things happened at the same time? What is the remedy?

Thanks.. A D

Reply to
Al_D

Hi friends,

During the last 48 hours, half of the TV channels we used to get have become unavailable, apparently due to a very weak (or non-existent) signal on those channels. We use a regular TV arial, with a signal booster, and a digital set-top decoder. Would it be anything to do with the final termination of analog transmissions that I'm told occurred a couple of days ago. Or is it just coincidence that both things happened at the same time? What is the remedy?

Re-tune.

Reply to
Nthkentman

Retune the set top box as that stupid pink digital switchover critter was supposed to remind you! The channels got rearranged.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Make sure nobody has unplugged the amplifier psu and that its working. Does not say where this set is, buut trying another box or set should not be that hard. plocess or elimination. Of course could be the Death magpie invasion conspiracy at work, where magpies have been trained by Sky to dismantle terrestrial aerials.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The Murdochs have no scruples. That explains why we have fewer magpies this year, they are all off at Training Camp.

Reply to
Davey

I was going to ask which half and where is this set. Its a bit like asking to be rescued when you could be anywhere in the world. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The obvious response to that is Thunderbird 5!

most notably the episode "Cry Wolf"! (Frighteningly, that was from memory alone.)

Reply to
polygonum

Yes, but why did the poor guy have to always be there? I mean did he have BO or what?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Apparently because Gerry Anderson didn't like the character of John Tracey! Occasionally Virgil was up there, IIRC.

Reply to
polygonum

Could be..at some part of the changeover transmitter powers are boosted somewhat.

Best to check your area..

The Natural Philosopher

More likely he was the one with no sense of smell. Space stations invariably develop rather strong BO and worse after a while.

Didn't they sometimes kick Alan up there for a spell.

I guess weightlessness was too hard for the puppeteers.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Think you might be right about it being Alan rather than Virgil, as I wrote.

Reply to
polygonum

Hmm, well I never saw any other of them up there on their own. I think we could use their artificial gravity though.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I kind of imagine real space stations tend to smell like submarines, a mixture of hot machines and b o, and that weird chemical smell that toilets on camper vans have.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

and when did they explain why he had so many sons but no wife. all a bit dodgy if you ask me. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:k6au2l$fii$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Have you done a re-tune? Some will have moved to different frequencies to take advantage of spaced freed up by turing off the analogue.

Retune - good luck.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I have a vague recollection the story line was that the wife/mother died in a ski accident. And some others on the net agree, albeit nothing authoritative.

Reply to
Robin

from wiki.

wife died prematurely, commonly accepted to have been due to complications with the birth on 12 March 2044 of her youngest son, Alan. A non-canonical 1993 comic strip has a different explanation[

Reply to
whisky-dave

So I assume that means she must be alive now? (32 years from now to have had multiple children seems reasonable, though not definitive.)

Reply to
polygonum

It's the first stage of digital switchoff...

Reply to
The Other Mike