Half Hour Fireproofing

Hi,

I want to fireproof a wall to half-hour standards. Seems like a good idea and keeps the BCO happy.

I believe that I can use double thickness plasterboard with the joints staggered.

The question is... can I use tapered-edge board?

The supplemental question is... does the board need to be skimmed afterwards? (I have had good success using tapered-edge and simply painting the boards after - I was wondering if skimming was a requirement for building regs.)

TIA Colin

Reply to
Colin

Good question; Hope you get an answer. Does anyone know if such a studwork wall has to be made withe a 4"x2" timber frame or will 3"x2" or even 2"x2" do?

Brad

Reply to
Brad J

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:39:35 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named "Colin" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Not skimming, but the joints should be taped and filled to seal the gaps between the boards.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

My BCO did insist on skimming as well as two thicknesses of plasterboard... I'm not saying that she was correct and you're not! but just adding my experience.

David

Reply to
Lobster

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:29:00 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named "Lobster" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

What thickness of p/bd did you use? For 30 minutes fire resistance, a stud wall needs 2 layers of 12.5mm p/bd. If you've only used 2*9.5mm, then a good thick skim coat will be needed.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

It was definitely 2 x 12.5mm; but having said that I don't know (or recall) what duration of fire resistance I was supposed to be going for - I was just told that two layers of pb + skim was what was needed. Presumably the required duration depends on the job? Mine was for boxing to protect waste pipes passing between two adjacent properties, as I couldn't source small enough intumescent collars, and needed the boxing anyway.

David

Reply to
Lobster

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:57:51 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named "Lobster" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Ah. 60 minutes required, therefore at least 30mm plasterboard (or

2*12.5mm + 5mm skim). Plus sound insulation is needed.
Reply to
Hugo Nebula