Hair clipper

Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming? There seem to be so many on the market from a few pounds upwards. Preferably one which doesn't need the blades oiling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have very thick hair and tend to cause most clippers to burst into flames. For me, I go for a model with

(a) ceramic blades that don't need lubrication and cut more efficiently (b) genuine mains motor which has significantly greater torque than the LV motors used in battery and mains-rechargable types.

Almost all ceramic bladed clippers are also mains rechargeable. This is because it is hard to make the weedy mains rechargeables work without the efficient blades, so the two features tend to go hand in hand.

However, there are a few models combining ceramic and true mains motors and they are worth seeking out. I got my last pair from Argos (made by Babyliss) after I reduced my Wahl set (mains/steel) to sounding like a bag of bolts in a washing machine. However, I note they no longer stock it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

We've been quite happy with Phillips/Norelco products. The current one can be used either corded or cordless, and came with a variety of attachments and accessories. It does require regular brushing-out of residue, and very occasional lubrication (lubricant supplied with trimmer, and seems to last forever). It's extremely lightweight and easy to handle - even lighter when used without the cord.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Gave my head a quick skim with our Wahl trimmer last night. Seems OK. Had to get the blades sharpened a few months ago - first time in five years or so. Quick and cost a fiver or so.

Dunno about oiling though - I've always oiled this one 'cos it says to, but the amount is tiny and it doesn't end up on your hair.

Reply to
Guy King

We bought a Wahl Multicut in about 1982, still going strong. Yes it does need oiling, but that is just to prevent wear on the sole plate.

The (1982) addresses given on the data sheet are.

Wahl Clipper Corporation, 2900 Locust Street, Sterling, Illinois.

Wahl Europe Herne Bay Trade Park, Sea street, Herne Bay, Kent.

Reply to
Tony Williams

I have a pair of Babyliss mains rechargeable ceramic blade clippers and TBH they are pants. They need lubrication, and the battery life is feeble.

I also have a pair of Remington clippers which are mains operated with a ceramic cutter and this pair does not need lubrication. They are the best clippers we've owned, solid metal body, very quiet in operation, and they don't need oiling. They were also dirt cheap at EUR 15.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Wahl seem pretty good...lots of satisfied users round here. Bought ours at the Wahl factory shop which is 1km from here!

Reply to
Bob Eager

no I'm not joking! Typically a stateside buy, sometimes germany. Good import business opportunity? What is the best hassle-free way to get one?

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

Yes, my dad had a rechargeable ceramic type, although I can't recall the brand. It was hopeless for me. It would shudder to a halt when used, usually causing considerable pain.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Cheapest I've found were the Remington ones referred to in another post, the HC820 for EUR 15, about £10 at the time and I think the same ones are available in the UK for about £12. Comes in a set with various guards, combs etc.

It's this model:

price I can find for them in the UK so far is £22.99, but it seems Amazon used to have them listed for £12 (but now want £33).

Reply to
Steve Firth

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:58:08 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote (in article ):

I've had several different ones over the years and found that the consumer grade products like Philips, Remington etc. simply don't last or even work that well.

So I looked at what is used in professional places and it is almost always Wahl.

The Predator, which is what I purchased, has been in use for several years. It performs impeccably.

The blades are precision ground and a wide range of replacement types and accessories are available.

Difference in build quality is very obvious in comparison with the Victor Kiam specials.

This one does need a trace of oil. However, it can be applied and wiped off so is not an issue.

Cost is about £90 or perhaps a bit less.

In comparison with the cost of going to the hairdresser, hanging around, having to listen to what they did on their holiday to Eyebyeza, it is infinitely preferable.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from "VisionSet" contains these words:

And no I'm not joking!

I just gaffertape the vac hose to the trimmer.

Reply to
Guy King

Go for a Wahl. Been using one regularly for me and my son for at least three years and its far, far better than the crappy "Nicky Clarke" one it replaced. Needs a couple of drops of oil every now and again but that's no great hardship.

Peter

Reply to
peterd
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dead.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:34:52 +0100, Guy King had this to say:

IRTA:- "strimmer"

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Wahl, mains not battery, and proper regular oiling makes the thing work far better.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

whilst on the subject of hair trimming i am fed up of going to the barbers and keep pondering over getting one of these clippers. i have only ever had scissor cuts so am wondering can you get a decent cut with them, i don't want to end up looking like a skin head. Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Agree. I've had my Wahl for over 10 years. It's been abused by hardly (almost never) being oiled, giving my wiry beard a No1 regularly and it's still works well. Gave meself a good old No4 all over 3 weeks ago as an emergency measure just before re-felting the shed root in the boiling heat (psycho) and it's still cuts good.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Yes. Almost. Better if your SWMBO or a mate has a steady hand and can help out.

The one thing that's hard is to trim the neckline nicely - better someone else does that. The only other disadvantage with DIY hairtrimming is that it's hard to feather the sides and back nicely. Having said that, a DIY'd No6 or No4 looks even and presentable, just lacks finish.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Agreed, unless you want the skinhead look, in which case an Oster clips closer than a Wahl.

I manage with one of those shaving mirrors on extending cantilever bracket in front of me and the bathroom mirror behind me. I have sometimes used a length of not-very-sticky brown parcel tape stretched below ear to ear to give a horizontal.

However, a lot of men get their hair cut when it just needs a tidy-up trim, not a full cut. Using clippers to clean up round the ears and neckline can stretch monthly barber cuts into six- or eight-weekly.

Owain

Reply to
Owain