GU10 LD lamps

Could someone please give me a recommendation for a high power GU10 LED lamp. I'm budgeting on £10 inc a piece.

Thanks

Reply to
Jed

Google for LampSpecs - reliable supplier, reasonable prices.

Define "High power" though. £10 won't get you much in the way of a decent make at teh high end but it might for lesser power ratings.

Avoid crappy no-names - Philips should be OK as should most makes that say "contains Cree or Luxeon LED" as ultimately the majority of decent fittings are likely to use one or the other.

Do you need dimmable?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks Tim

Crikey. Having been to LampSpecs website, I see what you mean about price. I might take a closer look at these:

I knew what I was talking about ('high power') I think I mean lumen.

No, no need for dimmable

Reply to
Jed

GU10 is a very bad form factor for designing powerful LED lighting, as it has very little scope for heat dissipation, and LEDs don't like getting hot. 3W is about the limit, although some that try and squeeze a bit more.

If your GU10 lampholders have a flying lead lamp base and could take a much deeper/longer lamp, then there have been higher power LEDs in that form factor.

Otherwise, you should replace the whole fitting with a similar sized LED lamp, rather than trying to retrofit one into a GU10 fitting.

Don't think you'll get anything for £10 though. What power GU10 filament lamp are you trying to match?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't buy anything from brightlightz - had 2 LED bulbs from them costing about £18 each, both failed within a month and their customer service is poor. Eventually got a refund but it was not easy.

I have just bought some ProLite

LED GU10s from a local supplier - MD Thompson in Norwich
but I don't think you can buy online). They are very bright (equal to 50W halogen in my opinion). Only problem is price - 19.80 + VAT. I got a massive discount, possibly because I bought a lighting rack at the same time, possibly not, so they came out at a whisker under £10 each.

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

OK - That is not very "high power" - but they look a bit "no name" to me, which often = cheap crap chinese unbranded s**te where the LEDs will burn out in months (been there).

Also - does it have to fit a downlighter? Many LED lamps are bigger than the "standard" GU10 incandescent form factor so it's often best to buy just one, after checking the claimed dimensions for testing.

My inclination would be to buy one or two at most, write the date on the side and test them - they might be OK, but at least you'll not feel bad if they aren't.

Reply to
Tim Watts

What is a better form factor then? We are in the midst of redoing a bathroom so this is the time to get it right.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I replaced ten 11 watt GU10 CFLs with these:

are a lot narrower beam so had to change the layout of the lamps on the two tracks in my kitchen. But they give about the same amount of light instantly rather than 5 mins after switch on.

Reply to
robert

That's a good question. I want to fit a '4 Light Spotlight Bar' rather like Argos item no. 432/9048.

However I want to use 3 - 6 Watt LEDs with it, so it would make sense to find a light fitting designed to take LEDs.

Anyone know of such a light fitting designed to take LEDs?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Well, if it helps I fitted the following GU10 (£9, 5.4W) in my shower a few months ago and I've been very pleased with it (ie, it's bright enough and hasn't blown - yet).

(or

Obviously a bit early days for commenting on longevity though.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Assuming your shower light can be switched individually, how long to recover the cost of the LED lamp over a halogen one? Assuming it has the same sort of life - which seems debatable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

About 5 years at 1hr per day?

So the key variables appear to be use and cost of the bulb, and the as yet unproven longevity of LEDs.

Plus of course environmental benefits - but the irony of this energy saving could be that people consume more either because they feel they can, or the technology is lacking and cancels out any apparent electricity saving.

I use one in my desk lamp and it's paid for itself in less than a year, and I'm quite happy with the light. It does run warm, though, unlike another one I bought from from Aldi £6 2W, which stays cool.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Ask Graham @

Baz

Reply to
Baz

I would definitely recommend Philips. The ones I have are indistinguishable from 35w halogens in illumination terms unless you look at them closely or they are on side by side.

The ones you want are Philips MyVision 4 watt...

MyAmbiance are the same but are dimmable. But the dimmable ones seem to have a pink tint to them until they warm up.

Philips Econic are a bit cheaper but also have a problem with being a pink tint all the time.

Reply to
2BSur2Bsur

separate transformer, > rather than GU10s. I wouldn't go for dedicated LED fittings, as if one fails early, you won't

I wouldn't!

I have both MR16 12v and GU10 mains LEDs and for the price you can get better quality mains bulbs.

Reply to
2BSur2Bsur