GU10 LD lamps

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Could someone please give me a recommendation for a high power GU10 LED
lamp.  I'm budgeting on 10 inc a piece.

Thanks

Re: GU10 LD lamps

Google for LampSpecs - reliable supplier, reasonable prices.

Define "High power" though. £10 won't get you much in the way of a decent
make at teh high end but it might for lesser power ratings.

Avoid crappy no-names - Philips should be OK as should most makes that say
"contains Cree or Luxeon LED" as ultimately the majority of decent fittings
are likely to use one or the other.

Do you need dimmable?
--
Tim Watts

Re: GU10 LD lamps
Thanks Tim
Crikey.  Having been to LampSpecs website, I see what you mean about price.
I might take a closer look at these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTGU3W.html

If I knew what I was talking about ('high power') I think I mean lumen.

No, no need for dimmable

Re: GU10 LD lamps
GU10 is a very bad form factor for designing powerful LED lighting,
as it has very little scope for heat dissipation, and LEDs don't
like getting hot. 3W is about the limit, although some that
try and squeeze a bit more.

If your GU10 lampholders have a flying lead lamp base and could take
a much deeper/longer lamp, then there have been higher power LEDs in
that form factor.

Otherwise, you should replace the whole fitting with a similar sized
LED lamp, rather than trying to retrofit one into a GU10 fitting.

Don't think you'll get anything for 10 though.
What power GU10 filament lamp are you trying to match?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Re: GU10 LD lamps

What is a better form factor then? We are in the midst of redoing a
bathroom so this is the time to get it right.

--
Tim

Re: GU10 LD lamps
timstreater@greenbee.net says...
That's a good question.  I want to fit a '4 Light Spotlight Bar' rather
like Argos item no.  432/9048.

However I want to use  3 - 6 Watt LEDs with it, so it would make sense
to find a light fitting designed to take LEDs.

Anyone know of such a light fitting designed to take LEDs?

--
Sam

Re: GU10 LD lamps
Well, if it helps I fitted the following GU10 (£9, 5.4W) in my shower a
few months ago and I've been very pleased with it (ie, it's bright
enough and hasn't blown - yet).

http://preview.tinyurl.com/68ygeuj (or

<http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/LED+Lamps/LED+54W+High+Power+GU10+Warm+White+200lm/d220/sd3276/p73710>

Obviously a bit early days for commenting on longevity though.

David

Re: GU10 LD lamps
Assuming your shower light can be switched individually, how long to
recover the cost of the LED lamp over a halogen one? Assuming it has the
same sort of life - which seems debatable.

--
*A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click *

    Dave Plowman        dave@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: GU10 LD lamps
About 5 years at 1hr per day?

So the key variables appear to be use and cost of the bulb, and the as
yet unproven longevity of LEDs.

Plus of course environmental benefits - but the irony of this energy
saving could be that people consume more either because they feel they
can, or the technology is lacking and cancels out any apparent
electricity saving.

I use one in my desk lamp and it's paid for itself in less than a year,
and I'm quite happy with the light. It does run warm, though, unlike
another one I bought from from Aldi 6 2W, which stays cool.

Rob

Re: GU10 LD lamps

OK - That is not very "high power" - but they look a bit "no name" to me,
which often = cheap crap chinese unbranded shite where the LEDs will burn
out in months (been there).

Also - does it have to fit a downlighter? Many LED lamps are bigger than the
"standard" GU10 incandescent form factor so it's often best to buy just one,
after checking the claimed dimensions for testing.

My inclination would be to buy one or two at most, write the date on the
side and test them - they might be OK, but at least you'll not feel bad if
they aren't.

Tim Watts

Re: GU10 LD lamps
I would definitely recommend Philips. The ones I have are indistinguishable
from 35w halogens in illumination terms unless you look at them closely or
they are on side by side.

The ones you want are Philips MyVision 4 watt...

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

Philips MyAmbiance are the same but are dimmable. But the dimmable ones seem
to have a pink tint to them until they warm up.

Philips Econic are a bit cheaper but also have a problem with being a pink
tint all the time.

Re: GU10 LD lamps
Don't buy anything from brightlightz - had 2 LED bulbs from them costing
about 18 each, both failed within a month and their customer service is
poor. Eventually got a refund but it was not easy.

I have just bought some ProLite
(http://www.prolite-online.com/acatalog/GU10_LED.html ) LED GU10s from a
local supplier - MD Thompson in Norwich (www.mdthompson.co.uk, but I
don't think you can buy online). They are very bright (equal to 50W
halogen in my opinion). Only problem is price - 19.80 + VAT. I got a
massive discount, possibly because I bought a lighting rack at the same
time, possibly not, so they came out at a whisker under 10 each.

Biggles

Re: GU10 LD lamps
I replaced ten 11 watt GU10 CFLs with these:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

They are a lot narrower beam so had to change the layout of the lamps on
the two tracks in my kitchen. But they give about the same amount of
light instantly rather than 5 mins after switch on.

Re: GU10 LD lamps

Ask Graham @ www.lightbulbs2u.com

Baz

Re: GU10 LD lamps

 > rather than GU10s. I wouldn't go for dedicated LED fittings, as if one
fails early, you won't
I wouldn't!

I have both MR16 12v and GU10 mains LEDs and for the price you can get better
quality mains bulbs.

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread

Site Timeline