Grundfos UPE 15/60 and Alpha

Hi,

What is ther difference between these 2 pumps??? - both seem to be electronically controlled and sense water pressure, operation of TRVs etc etc. Is it as simple as the Alpha is the latest version??

TVMIA

Reply to
Rob

Seem like two solutions to the same problem. Alpha appears slightly cheaper. It's a brilliant pump and the adjustment allows exact matching to the system though as my BCO didn't understand how it worked he insisted I put a bypass valve in as "it's in the regs". Alpha is set so that this just never comes on. Another thing is just how quiet the Alpha is. No more pump noises ever.

But I presume the other pump can do exactly the same.

Reply to
G&M

Thanks - other Q is will either model run on modified sine wave 240v??

Reply to
Rob

It is emphatically NOT in the regs for all situations. You should have given him the Grundfoss info and said you will not be installing a by-pass. A by-pass in a condensing boilers is a no, no, as it raises the return temperature. If he makes a thing of it, send a letter with the Grundfoss info, backed up with info on condensing boilers, and that technology has moved on. Typical backwards building idustry.

Reply to
IMM

Agreed - but we argued on quite a few points and I had one to hand so I just put it in to keep him quiet. It isn't a condensing boiler so not a problem. What I am digging my heels in is him wanting TRVs. I refuse to use them except in bathrooms as I want the zone temperatures to move up and down to a pattern during the day using a few programmable thermostats. Any TRVs inside the zones would kill this. His counter-argument is that I should then have a prog thermostat and valve for each room which would be stupid.

Reply to
G&M

There is no mandatory regulation that says you need TRVs all around, or individual room temp control all around. Ask him tom show you it, chapter and verse.

Nothing worse than a brick and mortar man playing being a heating engineer.

Reply to
IMM

I agree ! However if you read the relevant paragraph building regs (which I know are for guidance) somebody with the IQ of a traffic warden can easily come to that conclusion.

1.38 A way of demonstrating compliance would be (for hot water central heating systems, fan controlled electric storage heaters and electric panel heaters) to control the temperatures independently in areas (such as separate sleeping and living areas) that have different heating needs. Temperature control could be effected by room thermostats and/or thermostatic radiator valves or any other suitable temperature sensing devices, together with appropriate control devices.
Reply to
G&M

"to control the temperatures independently in areas (such as separate sleeping and living areas) that have different heating needs."

Noth "Temperature control could be effected by room thermostats and/or thermostatic radiator valves or any other suitable temperature sensing devices, together with appropriate control devices."

The key word is "could", which means the sentence is woolly. If they said "would" it would be different.

Reply to
IMM

IMM, I agree with you ! Now would you like to take up the debate on the meaning of simple words with my BCO ? Please !!!!

Reply to
G&M

If he can't see something so obvious then he is rather dim. Tell him you will take up with his boss and quote it chapter & verse. he to know this as he attempting to implement regulations.

Reply to
IMM

Already spoken to his boss on another issue and he appears just as dim. I've done up houses elsewhere, and my father was a master builder, but neither of us have met a building control department like this one. Talking to neighbours doing renovations or extensions, they all feel the same.

Reply to
G&M