Painting: hiding imperfections in base layer

Bathroom door. Paint was in poor condition, flaking off. I managed to scrape and sand most of the paint off down to a solid base layer. But *not all*. There were still some patches of of other layers of paint. They were sound but stood proud of the base layer. I sanded the edges of these patches down.

Then I gave it 2 layers of white gloss, thinking that a couple of layers would hide the unevenness of the base. I was Wrong! The patchiness is quite visible. Looks like I didn't work hard enough preparing things.

Whats the best to do?

  • Keep adding layers of paint, hoping the unevenness will "average out"
  • Strip back to bare wood (blowtorch?)
  • Paint the door a dark colour to hide imperfections?

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

I just repainted my garage and several doors that were in the condition as yours. I put on a primer coat and used an oil based gloss. I did not brush or roll, I did spray with an airless gun and it came out beautiful.

I also removed and sprayed 6 window shutters as well. If you are brushing or rolling, perhaps the application is quite thin. I tend to spray whenever possible. Two spray coats look like a plastic seal and covers everything smoothly

Reply to
beezer

Reply to
bruce phipps

Sorry for the late reply.. been busy painting everything that doesnt move...

If your normal gloss is oil based there is no trouble.. Generally you should not put oil on top of laytex... buts its perfectly fine to do whatever you want on top of oil.

Honestly, I think if use the layer you already have and sand lightly, that would make a fine primer.. I would definately spray though.

I had terrible gouges and scratches in this metal door and after the second spray coat, its virtually gone. Of course this power sprayer (wagner, if you have that brand there) was set to lay it on heavy...

I sprayed 3 doors in succession and it used a little less than a quart... (2pints) if you are more familiar with beer measurments as I hear that on UK radio all the time, lol..

Reply to
beezer