Going rate for boxing day repair.

Page 2 of 5

Is there a standardised, generally recognised form of the sticker(s) and forms? If so it would be handy do be able to download and print out rather than have to contact the local offices - convenient and might allay some suspicion about "registering" and "they'll take me away if they know"
Barley Twist (Please put out the cats to reply direct)
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 17:57:56 +0000, Barley Twist

No. But good idea - I'll see what I can do and put it on our Lions Club web site:
http://www.bflc.org.uk
What you need to do is contact your local Lions Club. You should be able to find them via:
http://www.lions.org.uk /
You can ask them for materials, which are free of charge.
Lions are distributing these materials to doctors surgeries and possibly pharmacies in their locality. So you could check with your local doctor about these too. However I'm not sure about the coverage in the UK so you might find your area isn't as well covered as others.
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!

medical
West Mids
I saw it in a news bulletin on TV not from my local amb service.

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 07:21:36 -0000, "John Woodhall"
I don't know what Lions in that part of the world are doing, me being in the Thames Valley area.

Nice to hear that it had made the media like that. We must try and promote that down here I think.
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!

Do you mean ambulance driver with some additional first-aid skills ?. I used to be a Haematology technician and had to do 24-hour oncall shifts for 1.50 an hour. You knew what the financial 'rewards' were before you joined. Unlike East Germany or Soviet Russia you had a choice. PS a good many nurses have discovered that if they leave the NHS and work for an agency they get paid far more, but would horrified if they knew what the agency was charging the Health Trust for their work. Computer programmers did it for years until T Blair plc. decided to introduce IR35 and hand out 200,000 fast track visas to any passing Indian (or African) programmer. It's called market forces I believe.

--
Andrew

http://www.nursing-pay.com/pay4.shtml
At the risk of alienating some within the IT sector, I don't think we should overlook that some so-called "IT Consultants" were taking the 'p', yet not actually doing anything illegal as the rules were defined (and still are defined). These individuals were paying themselves a salary of say 5K a year topped up with divvies of 50K per year. Divvies were not subject to NI payments, and the individual could save themself maybe 10K+ each year in tax payment (if I refer to NI as a tax). This was quite a good game for those involved!
These '5K a year' consultants were often working alongside permanent members of staff doing pretty much the same job and who were earning the going rate for the job of say 25K per year, without the divvies and NI breaks that incorporation offered. It's little wonder that these permies felt aggrieved sometimes.
I'm sure someone will point out holiday and sickness benefits encapsulated in a permanent employment contract - but contractors were often earning more than enough money to take 3 months holiday a year without income if they so wanted.
Whilst I'm not going to into an argument about whether this was fair or otherwise, it did raise a red flag with the government who could not of course be relied upon to act fairly - and are still not intending to do so - in the latest pre-budget announcement a short time ago Herr Brown advised that he's going to have another go at freelancers who incorporated. This is all part of the Brown master plan - remember a couple of years ago in his budget he encouraged people to incorporate by offering tax breaks? Now he's coming back at those who did in order to collect his money.
The tide for exporting jobs to India and other places may be turning at present - reports are starting to emerge that companies are taking jobs back in-house after getting stung by offshoring and customers starting to vote with their feet. It's still a mass exodus of jobs, but common sense is starting to creep in if I read the news stories correctly.
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!

However, we should not assume that the total number of jobs remains finite. Undoubtedly there is an export, but the effect of that is not necessarily a net reduction
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Already illegal. No further legislation was required.
writes

ripped
better
Was that meant to be an insult or question?
Yes I am a Paramedic (state registered), I also drive. As for my additional first aid skills, I am fully qualified to dispense a range of drug treatments and invasive procedures including canulation, peadiatric and adult intubation, cricothyroidotomy, needle thoracentisis, intraosseous cannulation, and many others. Thats why it took me 5 years of training. I can also however stick a plaster and bandage on. ;-)

I wasn`t moaning about my pay, I was moaning about what I had to pay others for work I could not do myself.

additional
Phew! And Hurrah!
Well said, John :-)
Mary

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 14:36:58 -0000, John Woodhall wrote:

6.00/hr is crap for doing that job, considering the shit (both literal and verbal) that gets thrown at you by your "customers".
Of course using the term "paramedic" implies additional medical training over and above van driving. There is a world of difference between driving a hospital transport minibus (M-F 9-5) and being a crew member of a front line paramedic ambulance (24/7). I guess the "management" consider you no more than a glorified minibus driver. B-(
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

"It depends".
If the person is a sole trader then he may have the very real problem of filling his 40 hour week with paid work during the year.
If he operates via a Ltd company then that 35 per hour is not his salary, and he may still have the problem of filling his 40 hour week. It is an income stream where he has to pay not only his salary but all the costs of running a Ltd company. For example, an employee of a Ltd company (even if you own the company outright) has to pay employERs national insurance (~11%) whilst the employee pays his employEEs national insurance. And you have to pay for things like indemnity insurances, corporation tax, accountants fees, and so on.
The question I always ask of people who have a problem with these traders is - if it is so good why on earth aren't you doing it????? It is all very well having a soapbox position on these things, but at the end of the day your personal responsibility is to look after you and yours, not the rest of the population. If that means you charge above the subsistence line to look after your family then so be it.
And notwithstanding that people who get paid more also tend to spend more to keep others in jobs. You presumably want your salary to rise towards the average in society? Okay - two ways of doing this. One is to figure out a way of increasing your take. The other (Labour) way is to reduce the average so that you are nearer that point. Unfortunately it doesn't work (like Labour) because the very well off still manage to find routes around the taxation barrier and the gap between rich and poor gets wider.
Plus you have a choice about these things. You phone someone and he quotes a figure. If you don't like it you phone someone else. Repeat endlessly until you find a figure that is acceptable to you.
Alternatively, you barter. Whilst it probably would not work in the majority of cases you may be surprised to learn that tradespeople also have their families to feed - and if you were told 140 for a job and you came back and said "how's about 100?" then you might just win something in your favour.

You chose the right profession, or you wouldn't be doing it.
PoP

I must be missing something. To reduce the 'income' of the better off would mean increasing income tax and changing the banding. Just when did this happen?
Do you also believe the last Tory lot reduced taxes?
--
*I want it all and I want it delivered

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 15:46:57 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
No. But at least the income generation to which I belonged did not feel persecuted.
PoP

My brother's a teacher and a Tory, and he certainly did. As was my widowed mother with the Poll Tax. A life long Tory also.
--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Err I never felt more persecuted than I did under the Tories until a few months ago. The Tories whacked me stealth taxes - at one point I was paying *four* dollops of poll tax (mine, wife, two daughters) - because they made the "head of household" responsible for every penny. And the Tories saw my mortgage rise to laughably high levels, at one point I was at Heathrow about to kiss goodbye to my wife as I left for Switzerland and they stated that Lamont was about to put mortgages up to 20% (possibly more). We seriously considered leaving and never coming back.
I feel the same now but for different reasons.

Isn't that actually *fair* - there are four of you using four times the amount of finite resources, creating four times the amount of rubbish. Virtually every single elderly person owning their own home was better off with the poll tax.

And to buy the same property now will require a mortgage many times larger than was needed in 1992 - and I suspect the (absolute) payments will be just as great - and then there's the council tax ...

Where no-one can afford to buy a house

Shame you changed your mind

--
Andrew

You actually believe that con, do you? Let me tell you a story...
My 80 something widowed mother lived on her own in her own little house that she'd lived in for some 50 years when the Poll Tax came in. Under the old rates scheme she got a 100% rebate since she had little other income than her state pension. So in fact ended up paying considerably *more* in hard cash than before.
Of course a *rich* elderly person in a *large* house paid less, but then they were the standard Tory voter so this was only to be expected...
--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 01:33:56 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

I despised the poll tax as well, but for different reasons.
We made the decision that when the children came along we wanted Mum to be at home as they were growing up. So we were a single income family. The poll tax did not take account of that situation, it presumed we must be nasty people for having only one income stream.
And what really annoyed me about the poll tax was that if my wife had decided to tell them where to stuff their poll tax - I would get arrested, not her. Nowhere else in British law can you be held personally responsible for someone elses debt.
I lean towards the Tories more than Labour, but I am not a true blue supporter because I feel they got some things very wrong. They went way too far with clobbering the unions for example.
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:16:41 +0000, PoP wrote:

IANAL however AIUI there are many type of contract (tenancy, partnership for instances) where the phrase 'joint and several' comes up. This is where you are responsible for the debts of your partner/flat-mate/spouse etc. ...and similarly they are responsible for your debts. I may have missed the point but collecting the Rates/Poll Tax/Council Tax comes into this common category doesn't it?
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk