Gluing carpet to wood

Hi. I want to glue pieces of carpet to the bottom of some chair legs. The carpet I have has a plastic-hessian type backing. Will pva do the job?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Depends. Will you be using carpet tiles or just a roll of say Axminster on each chair?

Sorry ... couldn't resist. We found our local DIY shop sells sell adhesive felt patches which just fit nicely on the bottom of the chair leg (little bit of trimming with the scissors to fit required). I assume you're doing it to stop the chair scratching a wooden floor as was our case?

Reply to
Ash

I think you may struggle to get it to stick - or the carpet may de-laminate. If you're simply trying to protect a delicate floor, you can get some self-adhesive felt pads which are purpose made for the job.

Reply to
Roger Mills

We used those too, for the same purpose. The chairs lasted a year and a half before the first one fell off, which is pretty good considering (and it's no bother to replace - so long as someone notices before the floor gets scratched). They collect pet hair something chronic, though :-)

Reply to
Jules

Our 3 piece suite has 6" diameter bun feet so I doubt the pads you mention are big enough.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

no. hot glue or evostik contact will tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, go for the hot glue. I wish I had thought of that years ago.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You can get sheets and quite large (40mm?) round pads. Use 3 or 4 depending on how they fit. Of course a few bit of offcut carpet will be far cheaper. Glue? an impact will do it or Copydex is the normal carpet glue.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think *felt* carpet would be better for this job - it's very hard wearing. Contact adhesive should stick it.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero