Wood to carpet threshold

1) What's the normal method of attaching thresholds to the floor? I'm thinking of ripping a thin strip of wood, screwing that down as a base plate, and then gluing everything else on top. Is that reasonable?

2) The wood flooring is going to have a finished level about 20mm above the carpet. That rules out just using a z-strip gripper, since they seem to have a maximum height of 14mm, and implies a moulding to get the height of the wood down. The door opens onto the carpet.

I'm thinking about something like this: W = Wood, T = Threshold, C = Carpet, G = Carpet Gripper, D = Door, Z=Z-strip,S=Shim. So the carpet is held using a grip strip, rather than an edging bar, and then the threshold covers over the nail points. I expect the thickness of the door to be less than the total width of the threshold, so I will arrange it so that the door is aligned with the carpet side of the threshold.

DDDDDDD TTTTTTT WWWWW TTTTTT WWWWW TTTTTTTTTT WWWWW TTTTTTCCCCCCCCCCCC GGG I can construct that reasonably easily using a couple of mouldings I've already got.

Alternatively, I could modify a reducing moulding I've already got to get the height down a bit, attach it to the main wood floor by routing a tongue on, and then use a z-strip ... Disadvantage there seems to be that I end up with a little groove that will be hard to clean, and I have some metal showing on the wood floor side of the strip.

DDDDDDDD WWWWW ZZZZZZZZZZ WWWWWWWWW Z ZZZ WWWWWWWWW ZCCCCCCCCCCCC

Third option is making something like an Easy Shim (S), so the carpet height ramps up. ZZZZZZ WWWWWWW ZZZZZ WWWWWWW ZZ CCCCCCCCCC WWWWWWW SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssssssss............

Any thoughts/standard solutions?

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Screw down and plug the screw holes. This is easiest done with a plug cutter which contains a male and female cutter - one to sink a very clean hole about 0.5cm in for the screwhead, and another to cut perfect fitting dowels out of a bit of scrap of the same wood.

Reply to
Tim Watts