Gluing carpet tiles to the wall and ceiling?

Hi,

I'm in the process of turning an old unused outdoor swimming pool into a little studio; in order to deaden the sound, I've bought carpet tiles (good quality ones) to place on the walls and wooden ceiling. What would be the best adhesive to use? (I've got about 60 square metres to cover.) I've heard thick wallpaper paste might do the trick? Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Nate

Reply to
Nate

Contact adhesive?

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

With that lot a good contact adhesive is probably your best option. One of those ones where you coat both sides and stick it up. You probably wouldn't have to cover the whole surface, say the edges and a blob in the middle.

I would investigate using a trade one if you have a supplier near to you.

Reply to
EricP

That's great - cheers for that!

Nate

Reply to
Nate

I used one last year and have just been to see if I still have it, but it appears to have been *tidied* up. :(

It was a large anonymous tub of water based adhesive that was like a water based Bostik. It want on very thinly with a brush, didn't have a great vapour to kill you, set in 5 minutes and set for life.

It had a funny name, something like a G10 or G11 adhesive.

Reply to
EricP

IANAE at all, but if you're going to all that trouble, isn't there a more conventional and effective material you can use instead of carpet tiles? Plenty of sound experts in this group...!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Not at that price I suspect[*], but then again I'd have been tempted to hang a load of *really* heavy curtains rather than carpet - not being attached to a solid wall, and not forming a flat surface they might do a better job.

[*]Studiospares "Econotile" 75mm deep heavy (40kg/m3) foam wall tile, 500mm x 500mm, £8.35 each or £6.75 each if you buy 50+ (and various points in between). This is effectively their cheapest proper accoustic treatment; prices only go up from here.

To completely cover 60m2 (you may get away with less) you'd be looking at 240 tiles (assuming no wastage) which works out at £1,620.

Ooh, actually, just spoted the "Acousticheck" tile at £6.29ea or £5.19 for 50+. £1245.60, but they're much thinner and less dense.

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Eviostik spirit based contact, or any glue that is specified for cork tiles.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi Martin, thanks for replying. Yeah, my carpet tiles were less than

60p each (I think I got lucky), I know they're not going to be up to the task of proper acoustic tiles - it's not within my budget to do things 'properly'. :) Plus, I've used (much cheaper) carpet tiles before in a different mini-studio, and they were fine.

Nate

Reply to
Nate

Which (in a roundabout way) was what I was trying to get across. Proper accoustic treatments are available, but they cost a fortune. As I said though, I'd have been tempted to use heavy curtains rather than (or as well as) carpet tiles on the assumption that decoupling the sound-absorbing material from a hard (reflective) backing surface might help.

As for your glue problem, it's messy and a pig to remove, but Evostik might be an answer? Cheap and cheerful anyway, even if you have to put a tack or two into each tile while the glue dries.

I don't know what sort of recording you are likely to be doing, but making a room completely and utterly "dead" can be counterproductive sometimes. I presume you're not going to carpet-tile any windows, but if these are small or few in number give consideration to leaving a couple of bits of wall exposed. You can always cover them up later if you need to... perhaps with heavy curtain so you have a choice of accoustic!

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove