GLS lightbulb storage

If you use cheese you might catch a mouse. If you combine it with garlic you could probably kill it as well.

Reply to
Steve Firth

We've had CFLs in the bog for years, with no complaints.

Reply to
<me9

Can't see the logic in that. You get run over by a car, then the driver is projected through the windscreen & lands on top of you?

According to paramedic daughter, serious injuries in RTC's are much lower since the introduction of seat belts, air bags, crumple zones etc. The older medics tell harrowing tales of RTC injuries rarely seen these days. Compulsory crash helmets have reduced motorcycle fatalities, but not serious injuries.

Just as well really, they need the time saved to deal with all the drunks & druggies these days.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And for "Risk Compensation" .

Drivers think they are asbestos and drive round like Valkyries.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I've got this theory that if toy cars (matchbox cars in my day) were made of aluminium foil, kids might grow up with a little more appreciation of how fragile real cars are.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Actually Dinky Toys, (Don't know about Matchbox, or Moko Lesney) were probably a couple of orders of magnitude stronger than real cars (are now ! ) .

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Didn't Matchbox cars cost 1/-? ISTR that some bigger ones (approaching Dinky in size) were 1/6 or even 2/-.

I spent too much of my pocket money on Matchbox toys from the local post office (and MES batten lampholders and tiny ELV light switches from Woolworth's).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Yes, but think what you learnt from them

Reply to
Andy Hall

Imagine the fuss if the technology history had gone the other way and people were suddenly expected to swap from CFL to Filament bilbs and pay up to £20 extra per light bulb in electricity costs - it would be 'bloody Labour hidden taxes'.

Sorry, that should be up to "BLOODY £20 EXTRA PER YEAR and the bulbs don't last as long!"

Reply to
OG

Exactly. An awful lot (well, the leccy things). I used to wire up all those batten lampholders in series with copper wire ( I was afraid that iron wire would hold a high voltage charge (!), and would poke the wires into a 5A mains outlet. One or two shocks later I learnt the advantages of wiring ELV switches and other bits in a certain order to minimise shocks and tingles with which it wasn't a good idea to tell my parents.

Hey - I was only 7 or 8 years old...

Now I'm a little older. And still extant.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Alternative theories are

1) all car body/chassis units should be made of toughened glass - with a yard brush in every boot; anything above the slightest collision leaves you with a pile of glass, engine and electrics that you can just sweep into the gutter.

2) every steering wheel should have a 15 inch steel spike pointing towards the heart of the driver - 'just to keep your attention on the task in hand!"

Reply to
OG

I know of lots of traffic police who`ve never seen a dead body (in work), because of all the added safety features over the years.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

And a shortage in donor organs

Trevor

Reply to
Trevor Smith

I always felt that, if all drivers were on an unprotected boom poking out the front of the car, there would be no need for any safety measures or speed limits at all!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Except that like most other information presented by this government, it would be a lie.

I notice that over the course of a few posts, the alleged saving has varied from £10 to £60.

Quite a range of promises. Have you been taking lessons from Brown? Perhaps people should be asked whether they actually *want* to have CFL bulbs. There are other reasons than alleged cost saving for purchasing decisions. I suppose that Benn believes that he can get away with this scam unnoticed on the basis that his boss is trying it on over an EU referendum.

Reply to
Andy Hall

safety record in the 1930s when cars were equipped with steel spikes ready to be driven into the drivers chest (aka steering columns) wasn't anything to be proud of.

Andy

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

No it wouldn't work since every teenage male driver knows that they are indestructible.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Well its been tried, in the 1890s thats how motor cars were. The driver was the forward-most thing, nothing in front. Speed limits or not there were no speed cameras, and no-one around for many a mile. Sprung steering could be a bugger though, put too many people into a ditch.

And oh the reckless speeders! Terrible how some people went over

5 mph. Actually was terrible considering the standards of the vehicles.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Of course it has, sometimes it refers to the total lifetime saving (for which £60 isn't unreasonable), and sometimes it refers to the annual saving (which depends on how much you use the bulb - hence how many years the saving is spread over).

Reply to
OG

Which in comparison with the amount of heat required to keep the house warm is 2/3 of bugger all.

Reply to
Andy Hall