Gloss Paint on Copper Pipe

Does anyone know the best way to remove gloss paint from Copper Piping?

I need to fit a compression joint on 15mm pipe but need to remove the paint first without damaging the pipe

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
shawNOSPAM

Could you not sand it until the paint is removed to your satisfaction. Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Well, I used ordinary sandpaper the same as if you were sanding the gloss paint on wood. Started with a fairly coarse paper then used wire wool for the finishing touch and it cleaned up good enough to take a soldered joint without any problems.

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

A chemical stripper followed by a good rinse in water then wire wool?

I just scrape the worst off with a Stanley knife then wire wool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I used sandpaper (the maroon type, whatever it is called). It was easily effective enough for a soldered joint, let alone a compression. Cut a strip of paper and wrap around the pipe and pull at alternate ends.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You could burn it off with a blowtorch, don't let the flame play on the copper too much (wave it side-to-side) otherwise the copper pipe could distort (unlikely though).

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

Blowtorch and wire wool seems to work fine.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

This is the only thing I use chemical stripper for - works a treat.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Chris Hodges wrote in news:oL0_d.5540$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Agreed. Quick, effective and usable even when you couldn't easily get any form of abrasive to work (e.g. behind immovable objects).

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

If you can't get a strip of sandpaper or some wire wool behind the pipe, I doubt you'll get the compression fitting on. :-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True, but being confident you've got all the paint off without scoring the surface too much is harder.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Yup - although the common occasion for getting paint off would be a radiator feed pipe, and there's usually enough space there. In another situation - if you'd suspected you'd scratched the pipe badly, I'd use a solder fitting. Of course using a mirror etc to make sure no paint remained.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)