Glass installation in stairs

Hi all,

We are having a new oak stairs with a sheet of glass instead of spindles. The glass is 10mm toughened and is rebated into the handrail and baserail.

The stair manufacturer suggested we put a bead of mastic in each groove before putting the glass in. I have dry fitted the glass temporarily to check levels and sizes and it seems to fit snugly into the grooves with no wobble. Looking at it, I am concerned about using mastic because

- it would be very messy and I am afraid it will ruin the oak

- as you look at the glass in the groove from one side, you will see the mastic for the other side. Unless it is a perfect bead it would look rubbish.

I called a local glass supplier to see if they did anything else rather than mastic. He said that since it is indoors and fits well in the wood, it is fine to fit it dry and I don't need anything.

Ringing Pilkingtons to check which was right didn't help either as they said they can't recommend how to install their glass.

To be honest fitting it dry would work perfectly for me but was wondering if anyone here has done this or any experience on any downsides etc. Any help gratefully received.

Wishing you all a happy new year.

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

My installation is similar expect in walnut rather than oak. I put a bead of silicone either side of the slot before sliding the glass in and you can't see it through the glass. It would probably be fine without as the glass (10mm like yours) is heavy enough not to move easily but I wanted something that would prevent dust and moisture from cleaning the glass getting in as I thought that if anything that would look worse. Been in four or five years and still looks good.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Possibly over a few years you could get some shrinkage in the wood and the glass then does not fit as snugly and may rattle as you go up or downstairs.

Reply to
ss

That would be my concern, plus how are you going to be sure that the tolerances on the whole staircase and the whole batch of glass is going to be so tight that every piece is going to fit as well as the one you've tried.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

If it fits fine dry, you can do that. But it would be better to put a minimal premoulded rubber strip in there to avoid the possibility of vibration and consequent noise later.

NT

Reply to
NT

Not to mention that it fits well now with the CH on, the air dry and thus the timber dry. But what about summer with CH off air damper and thus the timber... Snug dry fit, timber and large bits of expensive glass makes me uneasy.

And take up the movement of the timber due to seasonal changes in humidty. Not to mention that mastic/silicone is semi permenant and would make removing the glass for any reason "difficult". Might need the timber to be cut away or other damage...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice