*Domestic* rateable value

Is there any way to discover the (last) rateable value for a property in England.

Let's pretend the local council and water company have been contacted, and claim not to have any record of it, just for fun.

Reply to
Jethro

If by "the local council" you mean only the valuation department, try reference libraries, as they often have historic valuation lists.

Reply to
David McNeish

Many local authorities passed their 1973 valuation lists to their archives. If you have not gone direct to the archives I suggest you start there as they are more likely to know what they have than people who deal with current business such as council tax.

Birmingham (assuming I worked out your posting address properly) have an online catalogue but it is not complete so I'd call in or email them.

Reply to
Robin

A polite and detailed letter to the water company has elicited the (presumably) correct value.

Reply to
Jethro

When we switched to a meter, we were told that we could revert in the first year, but after that - forget it. Coincidentally, the in-laws, who moved into a house with a water meter at the same time were told they had to lump it - the meter stays

Reply to
Jethro

Once the house is sold the new owner has to use the meter.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Hi,

Just to second the above replies we were told if you have the meter installed you only get one year to change your mind; after a year you are stuck with it and as above if you buy a house with a meter you are stuck with that too.

Reply to
Fred

I can't help wondering... do you make a living being a wanker?

Reply to
grimly4