Getting suite through door?

We're getting the lounge re-carpeted professionally soon. We therefore need to move the 'ordinary size' 3-piece suite to the garage for a while. But I've just realised I don't know how to get it out! It obviously came in, but I'm vague about how the Parker Knoll guys did that. I'm pretty sure they didn't dismantle the rear sliding patio doors (and that would still mean going through a door of normal size before getting to the up-and-over door). So what is the technique for man-handling the chairs through a 'standard' door please?

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Turn it on its side and feed the back through first, bend it round the corner as it where, this is the narrowest part of the chair. same technique for sofas, stand them on end. Hope it helps. As an upholsterer you can only guess how many I have taken in and out of houses!!!!

Reply to
John

In article , John writes

Why can't you shove it up one end of the room and then get the fitter to do that, then move it back as it were?....

Reply to
tony sayer

My neighbours bought a new suite with very large armchairs that wouldn't fit through the doors (although the sofa did), we had to remove the outer patio type doors then the normal hinged front door and an internal door. The suite delivery guys were a bit fed up, usually they only take a few minutes per delivery.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

If it's still too large by turning on its side, the arm rests often are removable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks very much for all those helpful replies.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

The message from Terry Pinnell contains these words:

The feet often come off modern chairs/sofas too. Furniture companies give the exact dimensions so you should be able to work it out.

If you need another inch or two, taking the door off can help (especially if it opens against a wall).

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

Thanks, Janet. Reminds me (betraying my age) of a hit single by Bernard Cribbins, called 'Right Said Fred'. Described the attempts of Fred and his mates to manhandle a piano somewhere, and I vaguely recall the lyrics included something like "Right said Fred, better take the door off, that there door will really have to go..."

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

(etc.)

You mean:

Right said Fred, both of us together, one each end and steady as we go Tried to to shift it, couldn't even lift it, we was getting nowhere And so, we, had a cup of tea

Right said Fred, give a shout to Charlie, up comes Charlie from the floor below After straining, heaving and complaining, we was getting nowhere And so, we, had a cup of tea

Charlie had a think and he thought we ought, to take off all the handles And the things that hold the candles, but it did no good, well I never thought it would

Right said Fred, have to take the feet off, to get them feet off wouldn't take a mo Took it¡s feet off, even with the seat off, should got us somewhere but no So Fred said lets have another cup of tea and we said right-o

Right said Fred, have to take the door off, need more space to shift the so and so Had bad twinges taking off the hinges, and it got us nowhere And so, we, had a cup of tea

Right said Fred, have to take the wall down, that there wall is gonna have to go Took the wall down, even with it all down, we was getting nowhere And so, we, had a cup of tea

Charlie had a think and and he said look Fred, I've got a sort of feeling If we remove the ceiling, with a rope or two we can drop the blighter though

Right said Fred, climbing up a ladder, with his crowbar gave a mighty blow Was he in trouble, half a ton of rubble, landed on the top of his dome So Charlie and me had another cup of tea and then we went home

I'll said to Charlie we'll just have to leave it standing on the landing that's all You see the trouble with Fred is he's too hasty Now you never get nowhere if you're too hasty.

Reply to
Bob Eager

there are a few cases where it really is impossible to remove furniture, eg due to building work having occurred after furniture moved in. In those cases, one option is to fit some heavy duty brackets and string the thing up, working beneath it.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

That's the one!

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Although nowhere does it actually mention it's a piano.

I learned it by heart together with "Hole in the Ground" (which in the last few weeks I've realised is all about building an underground heat store, although that's also not mentioned) at about the age of 12.

Reply to
raden

Bernard Cribbins, where is he now ?

Reply to
raden

75 years old, still working (was in Coronation Street last year)! Also in a minor film (about bowls players) called Blackball, again last year.
Reply to
Bob Eager

... Having only (under duress) only ever seen one episode in my life, not surprising I've not seen him recently then.

Reply to
raden

Same here...the first episode!

But I looked him up....feeling bored tonight.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks. I'd raised that idea as a possibility, which got me raised eyebrows of disbelief from my wife, so I'm pleased to see it wasn't entirely barmy .

But I reckon it won't come to that last resort!

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Where do you get your lyrics please?

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

In message , Terry Pinnell writes

A quick Google will give the lyrics to most songs I should think.

For example, Here is two for RSF:

Reply to
chris French

I just used Google - the ones I got for you were very near the top; I had good search terms!

Think I used: right said fred cribbins lyrics

and I'm not sure with the other one...

Looking back, I appear to have used:

Bob Eager