getting a grant for DIY loft insulation

Our Victorian house (in Cambridge) has no loft insulation and we plan to install some. At first glance there appear to be grants available to help with this, but on second glance they all appear to work by having an "approved contractor" come and do the work.

Does anyone know if we can get a grant and do the installation ourselves?

is not very helpful on this question and directs you to "approved contractors".

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Some of the energy companies supposedly subsidise the price of insulation for DIY installers from places like B&Q, Homebase or Focus as they're obliged by the government to reach targets for home energy efficiency improvements. I'm not sure that this makes much difference to the price you pay though.

You'll probably find that the cost of DIY install is similar to the cost of getting someone else to do it and claiming the grant.

The energy savings trust is likely to be the best place to get information on what's available for you. You could certainly do worse than giving them a call.

Kieran

Reply to
Kieran Mansley

In message , at

02:32:18 on Thu, 9 Apr 2009, RobertL remarked:

That might be difficult because the council will want to know that you really did spend the money in insulation, and that the work was done effectively. It's probably easier for them to police this by insisting you use an approved contractor, rather than running around themselves inspecting DIY installations.

Reply to
Roland Perry

No, you can't. See

's a grant for "getting the loft insulated", not a grant for "buying insulating materials", and it's only payable to the installer once they have completed the paperwork to show that it's been done. The word "grant" is probably a bit misleading in this respect, because what it really is is a subsidy paid to commercial installers on the understanding that they deduct the entire value of the subsidy from what they charge you. The scheme gives you a cheaper price for professional installation, it doesn't pay you to go and buy insulating materials yourself.

It's routed through approved contractors because they have to provide proof that the work was done in order to claim the subsidy. If the grant was paid directly to you then there wouldn't be an audit trail to show that the work was actually carried out.

As has already been pointed out, though, even if you did get the grant money directly you'd be unlikely to be able to do it significantly cheaper as the contractors can buy the insulating materials at bulk rates. So their materials prices are cheaper even before the grant subsidy.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

I had a look at the approved contractor pricing, the diy warehouse pricing and the builders merchant (Ridgeons) pricing, for a rather large loft.

Ridgeons was significantly the cheapest, even after reckoning in the grants on the approved contractor.

Reply to
RubberBiker

I'd agree with that.

Trouble is a reasonable DIY job will probably be far better than the one done by the "approved contractor". They are given less than the minimum time required to do the job properly and are paid by the job not the time required to do it. So it is in the contractors interests to do the work as quick as they possibly can and get onto the next one.

One approach could be to go for the grant and approved contractor and when the come round to do the work. Take the insulation but send them on their way. This means they can get to the next job far quicker but you may find they take a bit of persuading.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I issuing building control notices.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , at

11:30:08 >

If you or I did it, maybe. I'm not so sure that on average it would be done better. Most people are frankly appalling at DIY.

And they'll be on the dole far quicker, as soon as one of the DIYers doing that is found selling the insulation at a car boot sale.

Reply to
Roland Perry

No more difficult than when you were able to DIY and claim a grant. My father did it years ago. All he needed was the reciept for the materials.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

After having already inflated their prices by the same amount, you mean?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

No; you genuinely do get the full value of the grant. That's one of the conditions for contractors being part of the scheme. What they get out of it is regular work with guaranteed payment, so they are benefitting in that sense - they're not being asked to give anything away. But they're not allowed to misrepresent their normal prices in order to manipulate the system to make additional profit.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

Part of the reason that was stopped was because it was open to abuse - people were buying the material, claiming the grant and then re-selling it instead of actually installing it.

The other point is that the current scheme isn't aimed at people who are competent enough to do their insulation, it's aimed at those who aren't but can't afford the full cost of having it done commercially.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

Yes, B&Q were selling loft insulation at £1 a roll earlier in the year, subsidised by British Gas. There was a limit of 45 rolls per household and an average house required 25 rolls.

Reply to
ToBeTheKingOfFools

I'm not disputing that.

What if their "normal" price is artificially inflated, even for those who employ them for non-grant aided work? There's no misrepresentation to those claiming the grant. Hopefully competition will stop this to a large degree, but I remain cycnical.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

OK, but the insulation was being used *somewhere* which is probably still a "good thing".

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Man at B&Q" saying something like:

Exactly what I think. The most blatant proof of that kind of thing is local to me, where a Govt grant for a pellet burning boiler leads directly to the burner price being shoved up by exactly the amount of the grant.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

at

d:

So the simple way to do this subsidy, if you are going t o do it at all, is to subsidise the loft insulation materials themselves. They can't be used for anything else so such a subsidy would be targeted exactly right.

Are they are zero rated for VAT , that would be a start?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I've hit the same problem over here, unfortunately - both for insulation and for other energy-saving schemes such as ground-source heat pumps; there are grants and reduced tariffs available from the energy companies for installing such things, but only if they're done by one of their "approved contractors".

Seems a bit silly that you aren't free to get the materials from anywhere, DIY if you want, and just have the work inspected by an independent afterwards to prove that you did indeed do what you said you were going to do...

Reply to
Jules

Oh Yes They Can!

Reply to
Tim Ward

Hum, maybe that's why I'm appalled at the quality that people seem happy to accept from professional tradesmen.

There is that but no one here would do that would they. B-) We all want a good job done not a rush job...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice