generators

is it possible to double the power output of a petrol generator from it's rated 240v @ 700w to 240v @ 1400w ?
if so how ? preferably something I can plug into the 3 pin socket (wishful thinking)
this is to run a small karcher jetwash (240v @ 1300w).
Les

Well if you find out how to do this. Keep it quiet from the oil producers cos it sounds like free energy :-)
Tony
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, in2minds wrote:

Basically, no.
--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
Microsoft - because god hates us

That is just like saying I have 1kg of flour, but the recipe needs two - how can if make my 1kg into 2kg?
Short of buying a new generator, what you are trying to achieve is impossible If it were possible, then you could just buy a whole load of these "things" you want and run the entire country off a 700w generator!
Nice thought though!
Sparks...
"Sparks" wrote | > is it possible to double the power output of a petrol generator | > from it's rated 240v @ 700w to 240v @ 1400w ? | That is just like saying I have 1kg of flour, but the recipe needs | two - how can if make my 1kg into 2kg?
You follow the American recipe which is in cups and aerate the flour to expand its volume (I doubt you'd double it, but probably about 10% gain would be reasonable).
I draw the hon usenaut's attention to the American economy as evidence that this works, honest.
Owain
in2minds wrote:

How would you do that? What conceivable mechanism would create an additional 700W out of thin air (or zero point fluctuations)? And if it were possible, why would anyone ever buy/run a 5kW genny when all they need is a 700W genny + magic device?
--
Grunff

No you can't get a litre out of a half litre pot.
It would be cheaper and easier to get a Kaercher machine with petrol engine I suspect.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:43:29 +0000, in2minds wrote:

Have you actually tried using the washer with the inadeqaute genny? You might just find that the combo works well enough for your needs. OTHO if you haven't then it's a good way to find out if the genny can be overloaded.
In my limited experience with SMALL gen sets if you over load them the voltage drops a bit the machine slow a bit and the current goes up a bit and they deliver not a lot more power than their rating. However they can for instance boil water in a 1500W kettle. How long they can do that before failing I dunno.
Many loads like the pressure washer are quite intermittent and may well survive being part of an abuse system.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

No. 700W generators are tiny things and they're pretty fragile at the best of times.
I'd be much happier trying to overload a 2kW genny with decent cooling to the windings than in trying to even slightly overload one of those sound-deadened suitcase generators with minimal airflow.
-- Do whales have krillfiles ?
didn't think so, not without dropping the voltage anyway...
as it happens the generator runs the jetwash quite happily, tested it this morning, all be it at a slightly reduced pressure.
thanks for the expected feedback (c;
Les