gas safe plumbers: greedy and unethical?

Well of course that wrong for a start.

That assumes that Joe knows which part to get, and where to get it. If Dave can get the part cheaper than I can, I'm fine with him marking it up. He's responsible for getting it and having to go back or to another store to find it when the first store doesn't have it, he's in charge of the part until it's fitted and paid for, and he gets to deal with the retailer if the part were to fail early.

Seems like a deal to me.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Entirely reasonable as you don't know the provenance of the part in question.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Because if the part fails (through no fault of the installer) within a short period the customer will expect it to be replaced at no charge. The cost of this has to be covered somewhere.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

In article , Fred scribeth thus

No. When it was freezing back in Feb the Gloworm boiler in one of our rented houses failed and I was advised by our gas boiler inspector to get a new board and fit it and as long as I did not touch the gas then I would be in the clear. He was due to inspect it a short while after. Geoff came up with e newer revised board as soon as and all was well:)..

All Ballcocks IMHO of course. The bloke who does our inspections is still very enthusiastic of the old one in a house we have that was installed in 1977 and he says don't bother replacing it as its fine and working well!..

Sounds about right..

Couldn't possibly comment.

Tho the bloke who does ours charges 60 quid per inspection which I reckon is quite reasonable and is not short of work knowing as he does a lot of the house rental firms around and will do a replacement boiler if it needs doing .. and only if it needs doing and seems to be often sorting out the "works" of the cowpokes;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

What, charge for a new one and provide a repaired one ? No wonder customers are so suspicious of all tradespeople.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

As alluded to in another post our boiler inspector does -only- rented houses and does quite well from that market and advised me to get the board and fit it!..

Course not all of his landlord's do that and would be capable of doing that!..

From what I gather all of them have to get a man in to change light bulbs even as hardly anyone has practical skill anymore!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Because a trader needs to at a minimum cover his costs. If he is selling at purchase price then he is losing money on every transaction.

Remember also that under SOGA the trader is also liable for repair / replacement under warranty. These costs need to be amortised somewhere as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

So they don't have to charge higher labour rates? To pay for the trip down the "shop" on their own time?

That's what they tell you, trades people can frequently get an even bigger discount.

Reply to
dennis

That happened to me last week. Replaced a Torbek fill valve. The new one was faulty so I had to go back to the plumbers merchant & swap it.

Not my fault, not the customers fault, not the merchants fault. Still cost me time & fuel.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I change lots of light bulbs - sorry, lamps -in offices etc. H&S issue.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No problem with that, they have either been holding the stock or have to go down to the dealer, etc. No problem to say "£50 plus parts if I supply, £100 if you supply".

Sounds like in this case they have a near cartel agreement not to do repairs when they think they can get a full installation. Maybe they have all the work they need in that area?

Reply to
newshound

I think they mostly are (greedy and unethical) but in your case I think the= y have got a point.

It's a reconditioned PCB (possibly faulty), the alleged fault was diagnos= ed by someone else (possibly wrongly) and it's a 10 year old boiler with th= e attached likelihood of other latent faults which may become known during = or shortly after the repair work. A 'normal' job would have one chain of re= sponsibility, they supply the parts, they fit the parts. This has split ( a= nd disputable) responsibilities.=20

There are far more rogue customers than there are rogue traders and this = will be viewed as liable to turn into the well-known 'it was alright until = you touched it' saga.

If you can work out how to guarantee they will be held responsible solely= for their own work, you may get an offer. I suspect that most just won't b= other.

And regarding the analogy with car brakes, a huge number of cars ARE scra= pped when the electronics (ECU, ABS, air bag controls, etc) become faulty.

Reply to
Onetap

have got a point.

by someone else (possibly wrongly) and it's a 10 year old boiler with the attached likelihood of other latent faults which may become known during or shortly after the repair work. A 'normal' job would have one chain of responsibility, they supply the parts, they fit the parts. This has split ( and disputable) responsibilities.

will be viewed as liable to turn into the well-known 'it was alright until you touched it' saga.

for their own work, you may get an offer. I suspect that most just won't bother.

scrapped when the electronics (ECU, ABS, air bag controls, etc) become faulty.

Basically, you are looking for someone who will charge you by the hour only for doing what you specify. No guarantee that the parts or what you specified will bring the boiler back to life, but you remain liable for the hourly charge regardless of outcome.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What's their relationship with the manufacturer? Do they claim back at some sliding scale for parts/labour?

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob

Which can be re-furbed like Geoff does boiler boards. I had a Volvo 850 they wanted around 800 odd quid for a new ABS ECU unit.

ECU testing up near Derby re-furbed the existing one around 130 quid came back very quickly was kept updated all the time it was with them via TXT refitted it 10 minute job, fault cleared MOT passed and an otherwise serviceable car back on the road:)...

tony sayer

Utter bollocks. I regularly pay more for equipment than the customer could get it for themselves. They have time to trawl the net to find the cheapest, I go to 2 or 3 local dealers, and get it immediately. CU's at my wholesalers, typically £75+. Screwfix and TS have them in for £60. SF and TS are 5 miles away in the middle of town, my wholesalers are 1 mile away down a country road.

One thing I did recently was change a shower bar mixer. £60ish at Screwfix/TS etc, cheaper on ebay. I went down the road to the local shop, paid £100, and it was fitted half an hour after first arriving at the house. Of course, if they could wait, they would have got it £50 cheaper, but there is no way I could get it cheaper than they coudl get it online, other than buying online too, and that is not good enough when people want everything done immediately.

Reply to
A.Lee

I am paying £45 for a fully loaded 10 way 17th edition.CU. OK so thats £54 with the VAT.

.
Reply to
ARWadsworth

I didn't say you couldn't get it for less elsewhere. Electrical stuff is a commodity item so it just gets cheaper all the time.

Reply to
dennis

Actually bulk buying is the way to get it cheaper. The 10000 metres of 2.5 T&E that will be delivered tomorrow says it all. I pity the poor sod that will have to put it into the stores:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

If a tradesman is supplied with a faulty part the only thing he will get is a replacement. Bugger all for labour & travel.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman