Gas Restrictor

I've got a fireplace in my house which has never been used. Its connect to the gas via a "gas restrictor elbow" as seen here

would like to stop the gas going to the fireplace while i do a bit of work around it. The top part of the elbow appears to be a safety cap which then reveals another screw section. I thought it would be a case of just screwing this down which would then block the line but it just kept moving down, I did not want to screw it any further incase it fell through and then meant there was a leak.

Is it just a case of screwing the middle down till its blocked?

Reply to
Rob Convery

Why not just turn it all off at the meter?

Reply to
Steve Walker

In article , Rob Convery writes

Yup, that's the idea, it gets a little scary in the middle as quite a bit of gas will escape past the screw until it is fully seated down. If you wanted you could turn the gas off first at the meter but certainly make sure you know where the gas isolator is and that it works. Again as a safety, if the screw got stuck half way you could simply screw the cap back on until you can isolate the supply.

Reply to
fred

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 22:19:47 +0100,it is alleged that "Rob Convery" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Usually yes. Normally you will have to go down so the head of the screw is *just below* the level where the pipe comes off the side, in fact you can see the 'elbow' part from inside.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it dropping down inside, because if it DID you'd have already had a very badly damaged elbow that for safety reasons needs replaced.

On the picture you posted from toolstation, if you draw a vertical line from the centre of the first O in the logo, and continue it up, that is about where the *head* of the screw will end up, you'll feel it bind down against the valve seating.

2 cautions: 1, don't overtighten it down, you will have a hell of a job getting it back out and might damage the head, and 2, use a screwdriver sufficiently wide to engage the head, but narrow enough not to gouge the threads, as you'll be putting it up to 3/4 inch inside the fitting.

You _will_ smell gas as you do this, that's normal, it's the leakage back out of the pipe to the heater, and maybe a tiny amount from round the threads, once it's all screwed down, put the cap back on and you're safe (never leave the cap off unless you are actually screwing the valve up or down, it prevents the leakage round the grub screw threads).

HTH

Reply to
Chip

Thanks - just the reply I was looking for - was going to do it with it off at the mains but its going to take a few days so want to be able to have this turned while the mains is on for the heating etc

Rob

Reply to
Rob Convery

Rob,be aware that like cooker plug in connectors,these restrictor elbows dont always fully seal off the gas supply when screwed down and can still pass a small amount of gas if worn/defective. It is good practice to plug off the outlet of the restrictor elbow after screwing it down. Remove antispam and add 670 after bra to email

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUME>CONFORM>OBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.

tarquinlinbin

replying to Steve Walker, Tink-GB wrote: Cos he doesnt want to stop the gas to the boiler?

Reply to
Tink-GB

Simple answer is yes but the screw in "plug" section normally has a soft face to provide the shut off. Newer models have a "dowty" type seal under the cover cap but older ones used a fibre washer that overenthusiastic tightening could split. Also you should really plug the hole left when the pipe to the fire is disconnected. A 1/4"bsp screw in plug with thread seal is one method. If the olive on the gas fire connection pipe is a soft version be careful not to damage it on reassembly. Finally check gas tightness with a leak test fluid unless you can carry out a full soundness test.

Reply to
Cynic

Only 15 years late. Have you joined HOH?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

And the point of this stand alone message is? grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

But its not a reply to anything, hence my response, I suspect he may have joined one of the less good web interfarces. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Just look on groups google Brian. The full thread is visible there.

But its not a reply to anything, hence my response, I suspect he may have

Reply to
Tim+

Thankyou Chip. A very succinct and useful answer.

Reply to
jjim

Remember we outside of Home wreckers club cannot see the message you answer unless you quote it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa