Gas fireplace won't start

I have a gas fireplace that doesn't have a wall switch. It only has the remote control on/off switch. The pilot light is always on, but when I click the remote, the fireplace doesn't start. I've removed the grill at the bottom and see that the red light on the remote box does blink and making a clicking sound when I click the remote.

I've had someone tell me to check the wiring, but I don't know what to check it with or how to check it. I'm sure I could fix it myself, if I just knew where to start. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Reply to
funkylittlemissy

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought of that first too. New batteries didn't do the trick. Too bad...

Reply to
funkylittlemissy

The place to start is a basic course in electricity and the use of a VOM.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

May sound too simple, but have you checked the batteries in the remote? Sometimes it will make the light flicker but there isn't enough "oomph" to kick it in.

It's a cheap way to try something else.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Is this a natural or propane gas fireplace? If it is propane you may have air blockage in the fuel line from when the propane tank was filled last. Also check for spider webs at orifice. If it has been unused for a while one may have set up house. Be sure your fuel line valve is open.

Reply to
John F.

turn gas valve from pilot to on.

Reply to
buffalobill

In my gas fireplace, the remote control sensor in the fireplace is operated from a battery (9v). That battery does eventually discharge and need replacement. In my case, the sensor battery is in an imitation pine cone and is accessible from the bottom of the pine cone. (Maybe you've already considered that, ref your comment about the "remote box.")

Try changing the battery in the sensor, if you haven't already.

Reply to
JimR

I have a fireplace that won't start as well. (the Pilot won't light.)

It was running fine until last year when my 7 year old pulled out the remote sensor (in order to use the manual shut-off) however as he pulled it out, the fireplace shut-off and would'nt start again. I thought the battery leads (from the 9V Cell) might have touched the grill and shorted, but I don't know.

Anyway winter is coming again and my wife want's it fixed!

Any ideas?

Reply to
SHUDSON

Yeah.

Unless you are a licensed and highly trained tech, DON'T MESS WITH A GAS APPLIANCE.

HIRE A COMPETENT PROFESSIONAL.

Its safer and cheaper in the longrun.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

================== Normal problem....spyder webs, dust etc have a way of causing this...

Honestly I just cleaned the thing out ...and it fired right up...BUT to avoid this problem about 5-6 years ago I just resorted to leaving the pilot on all the time....all year round...

Yes my gas consumption has gone up...maybe it costs me 10 bucks extra every year ...but at least I know it will fire up on that first chilly night in the fall (which it did btw)...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.