gas hob flame failure sensor problems

I've got a Neff gas hob which has a flame failure sensor on each burner. Just came back from 2 weeks holiday, one of the burners will not stay lit (was fine before).

Does anyone know how the flame failure devices work so I can try to diagnose the problem? Do they use electrically operated valves? If I twang the control knob after it's ignited, sometimes I can get it to stay lit, so I suspect there is a part of the control valve which should be opened by the sensor which is sticking. The sensors are small conical metal things, look like Weller soldering iron tips.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell