Gas fires

Overall efficiency of having an open versus a room-sealed heater!

Reply to
polygonum

Modern boilers often have safety devices similar to this. For example if the fan doesn't work then the boiler won't fire up. It's probably the regulations for gas fires than is the limiting factor, rather than economics. I've seen gas fires for sale at over £2K, well above the price of an average domestic boiler.

Some of the HE fires already have CO and O2 sensors.

I understood the term damper to be a device to close the flue. If it prevents heat escaping up the chimney then it still has the same purpose.

Fine if you can fit them. But they do have a price premium. For occasional use I wonder if you would be financially better off buying a cheaper and less effecient fire.

Reply to
Mark

We had two of those when we moved in. They were next to useless. As the chap who fitted the boiler said, "it would be cheaper and more efficient to burn fivers in the grate".

Reply to
mike

Flat Foot Floogie with the Floy Floy?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

In message , brass monkey writes

Also the radiant type dry your eyeballs if they are on the same wall as the telly:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We fitted a room sealed Paragon Focus HE into an existing

16" alcove with a conventional chimney, several winters ago, replacing an old open flue gas fire and haven't regretted it. It wasn't the cheapest option, but has proved it was worth the extra expense. We got it from a local gas appliance supplier and the manufacturer's site is

We chose the slide control option since the type at the bottom means you have to remove the "grate" to use it. The mechanism needs to be kept clean or the battery spark control fails to switch the spark on.

Reply to
John Weston

No I quoted the title, honest.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They were designed at a time as I recall when we were all guaranteed cheap gas from the north seefor the foreseeable future, though!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Really, how does that work then?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

AFAIK I can't fit a room-sealed[1] device there so the point is moot.

[1] Some 'room-sealed' (fluless) devices seem to need an air vent anyway.
Reply to
Mark

Thanks for this. Does this fire provide a decent level of heat?

Reply to
Mark

s/focus-he.php

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I have called paragon fire about this model. They were very helpful but were not able to tell me what the losses might be when the fire is off, except that they will be less than having no fire at all.

Reply to
Mark

Politician's "foreseeable future" means "Until the next election".

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

?
Reply to
Gib Bogle

Yes, it's on now almost as low as it goes, keeping this 6x4m room warm when the CH is off during the day. When on full, from cold, it heats the room quickly, much better than the previous open coal-effect gas fire it replaced. In use, it seems the advertised reduction in room air changes is factual... I'm thinking of replacing the open gas fire in another room with a similar model.

Reply to
John Weston